www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
I should say hello!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stormtrooperguy
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: I should say hello! Reply with quote

Hello!

Ok, that was an awesome intro.

I come here from the land of stormtroopers and clones, aka the 501st. My interest lies in making armor.

I've been an active costumer for about 6 years now. I've been doing the forming about a year, using another member's equipment.

Here's a pic of the armor kit I make. It's 100% my own sculpt.

And all assembled/painted:

It's pulled from HIPS... 0.125 for the bigger parts and 0.080 for the smaller.

The setup I've been using is an electric oven for the heater and a big shop vac for the suction. The platen is a plywood box with a bunch of holes. Because of the oven size, my plastic size is 21.25 and my work size is around 18" square.

For some pieces, like the chest, I'm REALLY pushing the boundaries of what the table is capable of. It works, but it's tough. I need to heat the 0.125 for about 12 - 14 minutes before it sags enough to make it around the chest.

My new setup will be a 2x2 protoform. I've got the thread going already on that. I'm REALLY excited and more than a bit nervous about this. I tend to work fast and obsessively, so I don't imagine this will take particularly long to build.

I've got the big parts already... heater, power and vacuum pump. The rest is relatively minor stuff, and I've set aside most of the cash I'll need already. For everything else, there's MasterCard Wink
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive work! Thanks for posting up the picts. I'll be interested in following your ProtoForm build too.
DougN
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the board! Nice looking trooper armor! Well done!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Culvan
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to have you here. It's really neat to have someone I've followed on other boards show up here. Looks like you've already got this stuff down.

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: