www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
New to all this!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aussiematt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: New to all this! Reply with quote

Hi everyone!
I know this is probably a bit odd, but I am restoring a Vintage Caravan (trailer for the US citizens) and it has vacuum formed tail llights I am hoping ot find otu how to reproduce cheaply and easily (HAHA)
I will post a couple fo pictures as I go and hopefully get some feedback on "How to proceed"

Thanks a million in advance
Matt

P.S. Located in beautiful downtown Melbourne Australia
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Matt, sounds like you are starting an interesting project. Restoring an old caravan should be a great experience with a nice reward. Looking forward to seeing your picts.
DougN
Aussiematt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DougN,

it is a greast old van, and I can't wait to get stuck inot it, I have never Vac Formed anything before and have a million questions on how - I searched for ages online to find details on how to Vacuum Form and that is how I found this site.

I will shoot through some pictures of the van and the car I am restoring it to tow behind as well, a little differnt to the replicas on this site, but a huge amount of valuable information exists here so I hope you guys don't mind me hanging round?

Matt
Bakwoods

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: New to all this Reply with quote

I actually found this site via Google when looking up how to vacuum form. I've never done it and only read about it in D Sport Magazine and thought to myself "I can reproduce car parts via vacuum forming" and off I went.

Needless to say I'm going to search around for the threads with some designs of machines and what materials are required but if anyone wants to throw out some tips and suggestions please do. Being a newbie to all this I'd like to start off on the wrong foot.

While were on the topic of vacuum forming, can I safely assume that carbon fiber hoods made by V-fiber and Seibon are made using this same exact method?
JoeP

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bakwoods,

From my understanding carbon fiber hoods are going to be made similar to this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_gI3chGtww . Carbon fiber cloth is just like working with fiber glass cloth.

-Joe
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the board! Sounds like a fun project!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: