www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
My Dream Material

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Injection Moulding & Other Technology
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaughingCheese
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: My Dream Material Reply with quote

I just got an idea for a material that would start out liquid then could be baked into any shape.

The process would be make a negative mold, pour the liquid into the mold, bake, then the material would be as hard as ABS or some equivalent material.

Do such materials exist, or am I still dreaming? Confused
Benjaminvegeta
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of polyurethane. Itīs a 2-part liquid that hardens after mixing. no baking required.
Itīs the material that is used by adam aka gametavern on youtube to make his halo helmets and rifles

But in your other thread you said you donīt want such multi part-processes
Culvan
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the goal is to have a material that goes from a liquid to a solid then there are a number of resins out there that fit the bill. If you also want something with heat tolerance then I believe that you are looking for some sort of epoxy. However these are two part compounds that you mix together and they set over time.

Some other materials with properties similar to what you described are Plaster of Paris or Hydrostone. Can be poured, heated and will become a solid (although not because of the heat). Good old fashioned clay will harden because of heat, but it's not really liquid. These all have the advantage of being pretty cheap if you can find a local distributor.

Silicone based products also have good heat tolerance.

Is the baking process critical to your application?

Andy
spektr
Master

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure sounds like epoxy to me, except you dont need an oven......
LaughingCheese
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benjaminvegeta wrote:

But in your other thread you said you donīt want such multi part-processes

Right-O! Laughing

Quote:

If the goal is to have a material that goes from a liquid to a solid then there are a number of resins out there that fit the bill. If you also want something with heat tolerance then I believe that you are looking for some sort of epoxy. However these are two part compounds that you mix together and they set over time.

Yeah, I was imagining something that was only one part, non-toxic and even biodegradeable, that would harden when baked or something.

(I guess I think it needed to be baked because how else would it become solid if its a liquid at room temperature? Unless its frozen....Very Happy)

Quote:

Some other materials with properties similar to what you described are Plaster of Paris or Hydrostone. Can be poured, heated and will become a solid (although not because of the heat). Good old fashioned clay will harden because of heat, but it's not really liquid. These all have the advantage of being pretty cheap if you can find a local distributor.

Interesting.

Yeah, don't get stuck on the heat, I just know with a lot of these things require heat and or pressure, so it seemed logical.

Quote:

Is the baking process critical to your application?

Andy

To be honest I don't really know, I don't know enough about materials.

Just sounded logical that it would have to be heated. Laughing

Quote:

Sure sounds like epoxy to me, except you dont need an oven......

But, isn't epoxy used with other materials?

And its not strong enough on its own to form a solid part right?

Or withstand airsoft or paintballs?

Or falling?

Thanks

LC
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to smooth-on.com. They have a lot of instructable videos that will help you get an idea of the possibilities. They sell a huge array of two part liquids that become solids when mixed. All the way from soft rubbery stuff to hard & rigid.
Benjaminvegeta
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Or withstand airsoft or paintballs?

Or falling?

Thatīs a point I wanted to ask you about: You really want to play Paintball/Airsoft in your Master Chief Armour?
Have you ever worn a full body costume/armour like that? I can tell you itīs freaking hot under those. Even when only wearing for a costume party. Now when you are running and jumping etc in that armour, you wonīt want to play for a longer period.
Another factor is, that the armour parts always tend to loosen on your body. Thats for sure when youīre doing more extreme movements like when playing paintball.

But back to your armour. I think the best version for durability and cost efficience would still be vacuum forming ABS.
When a part is destroyed during play, you simply take your mold and pull a new one on your machine.
+ I think itīs faster: you make a positive mold and pull your plastic.
For liquid materials you have to build your positive, make a negative of it and then pour your part. Then you have to wait for it to cure.
The vacuum formed plastic is good to go after pulling it.

This guy here made halo 3 marine armor by vacuforming.Maybe you want to send him an e-mail
http://www.tk560.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1185

Last edited by Benjaminvegeta on Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:21 am; edited 2 times in total
spektr
Master

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear motocross body armor on the upper torso playing paintball. It protects me from hitting things hard when I hit the deck.. Paintballs by themselves arent that big a deal to get hit with unless there are "hot gunners" on the field........
LaughingCheese
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benjaminvegeta wrote:

Thatīs a point I wanted to ask you about: You really want to play Paintball/Airsoft in your Master Chief Armour?
Have you ever worn a full body costume/armour like that? I can tell you itīs freaking hot under those. Even when only wearing for a costume party. Now when you are running and jumping etc in that armour, you wonīt want to play for a longer period.
Another factor is, that the armour parts always tend to loosen on your body. Thats for sure when youīre doing more extreme movements like when playing paintball.

Good point about the heat....

I'm actually very heat sensitive unfortunately.

The last couple of times I went paintballing I overheated, probably because I was wearing those stupid trousers they give to n00bs, as well as jeans.

However, I was planning on implementing some sort of electrically powered temperature control mechanism, though, again, another area I have zero knowledge about.

Its not just armour I want to make tho; I'd preferably like to make a whole range of stuff from airsoft guns to RC vehicles.

Quote:

But back to your armour. I think the best version for durability and cost efficience would still be vacuum forming ABS.
When a part is destroyed during play, you simply take your mold and pull a new one on your machine.
+ I think itīs faster: you make a positive mold and pull your plastic.
For liquid materials you have to build your positive, make a negative of it and then pour your part. Then you have to wait for it to cure.
The vacuum formed plastic is good to go after pulling it.

I agree, I'm certain vacuum forming will be cheaper as well as durable in comparison to annoying two part molding. XD

Quote:

This guy here made halo 3 marine armor by vacuforming.Maybe you want to send him an e-mail
http://www.tk560.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1185

WOW

I'll have to check that out, thanks!

EDIT: OMG that is EXACTLY how I planned to do it!!!!

EDIT: Oh wow, I actually met that guy over at the 405th Halo forums!

Small world....Shocked

There's very few if anyone that I know of in the costume making community that vac forms their armour.

Also, right now I'm leaning more toward a Predator inspired design rather than Halo, maybe I'll make a MJOLINR suit as a test for my vac former.

Last edited by LaughingCheese on Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
stormtrooperguy
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are a variety of resins with a huge range of properties that do what you are basically describing.

that's how i make my clone helmets. i have the silicone mold and i pour the liquid in. slosh it around so that it coats the inside and watch as it cures. in a few minutes i do a second coat, on up to about 5 usually.

2 part liquid, equal parts A and B. when they mix it starts to heat up, thicken then eventually solidify.

not biodegradable, not 1 part... but mixing equal parts of each liquid isn't hard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Injection Moulding & Other Technology All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: