www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Benīs Vacu-Former Build
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benjaminvegeta
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I will try the heat resistance of the rubber before and then see if I need to replace them with screws.

Regarding the seal. In fact the lower frame is beneath the forming platen level. But itīs less differance than it seemed in the planning process. So yes, I too were thinking about this problem.
I came to 2 possible solutions: First would be to use the router and route around the forming platen so that the main table plate there is thinner.
Second would be easier: Running a sealing rubber along the forming platen.On the place round the platen where there are no holes. You understand what I mean?^^
spektr
Master

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even easier.. Glue and nail triangle wood stock to the edge of the platen. This raises it, gives a pointy seal edge and is cheap, fast and effective. Fill any small gaps with silicine house sealant.. Lets not overthink stuff...... lolol

Scott.
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benjaminvegeta wrote:
Second would be easier: Running a sealing rubber along the forming platen.On the place round the platen where there are no holes. You understand what I mean?^^

Hey Ben, I tried using different weather stripping products that are designed to seal around door or windows. Some of them didn't work at all.

The one that worked best was EPDM Rubber Window Weatherstrip. It is item number Item #: 66787 at www.lowes.com. Of course, you probably can't get it from there but at least it gives you an idea.

The problem with any self adhesive product that I found is that the adhesive will not hold when it gets as hot as our vac formers. I found that "super glue" did a good job of holding the EPDM rubber in place when heated.

hth, DougN
Freq

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spektr wrote:
Even easier.. Glue and nail triangle wood stock to the edge of the platen. This raises it, gives a pointy seal edge and is cheap, fast and effective. Fill any small gaps with silicine house sealant.. Lets not overthink stuff...... lolol

Scott.

LOL, just use some rubber seal.
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freq wrote:
LOL, just use some rubber seal.

Is there a particular product your recommend?
Benjaminvegeta
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today the Oven box was mounted:

Benjaminvegeta
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I finished my lifting mechanism. Waiting for the plastic sliders to complete the frame/lifting part.
Then only electric wiring and plumbing is left on the To-Do List

Israel franco
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks great Benjaminvegeta I wonder how tall are the side posts (from the base to the oven) may be was the picture, but I get the impression that the distance between the oven and the platen is more short than what I've seen in other pictures

by the way this distance is not affected? in other words, if is too short may not allow the plastic to cool or take longer than usual?

anyway great job!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Benjaminvegeta
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

the posts are 70cm tall from platen to bottom of the oven box.
I first was going with 100cm, but that would have been a little to tall. Would have needed a longer lifting mechanism that would be hard to reach in top position.
Iīm not afraid that the plastic wonīt cool. I think the 70cm should be enough space.
Israel franco
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoo ok, I thought it was very short distance between the platen to bottom of the oven (much shorter than 70cm), maybe the perspective of pic gave me that impression, but I think that is good height 70 cm

congratulations again, I will be wiating for more of your progress Wink

thanks for share!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Benjaminvegeta
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I built a (ugly) little control box for the oven.
Oven is running. Very Happy

The hole is for a vacuum gauge

Benjaminvegeta
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I was a little worried because I had the feeling that my oven is not becoming hot enough.
So today I measured. At 210°C and rising I stopped because my gloves were to hot for my hands Very Happy
So Iīm really relieved. I was concerned all night if I would have to rethink my oven
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benjaminvegeta wrote:
Yesterday I was a little worried because I had the feeling that my oven is not becoming hot enough.
So today I measured. At 210°C and rising I stopped because my gloves were to hot for my hands Very Happy
So Iīm really relieved. I was concerned all night if I would have to rethink my oven

Sounds like you're doing good with the oven. Rethinking design issues seems to part of the vac forming build process but glad your oven is working right!
Benjaminvegeta
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I did the plumbing of my machine. Mostly I used copper pipes. For the connection of vacuum pump and vacuum meter I use vacuum hoses with extra thick walls. These are from motorsports supplies and were lying in one of my boxes.
I chose a 2-stage system with extra valve for the tanks
Of course I already tested my vacuum part of the machine and luckily there are no leaks. The pump reaches its lowest pressure point and when opening the valve there is that nice sucking sound from the platen Very Happy
Here are pics:

In right upper corner you can see that the copper pipe is going on. Itīs going to a closed bung which gives me the opportunity to upgrade to more tanks in the future:

Vacuum pump:

Then I glued some wood stripes into place around the platen which will help to form the seal. When the glue dried, I will seal the stripes with some silicon.

Complete view of the machine:

jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Work! You're doing a great job of adapting to what you have available. Being able to add more tanks is smart thinking too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: