www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
3d Modeling - K9
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Injection Moulding & Other Technology
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coffeehedake
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Culvan wrote:
Yeah, I suppose that's true. However I've seen a number of home built models where the edges are sharp. They still look good. Your eye for detail is correct on the real prop they should be rounded.

Got it. What I think I'll do is finish the whole head, go back and round off the seams, then separate the top, left-right-front, and back of the head. What you'll end up with is 3 pieces to mill, that you'll have to put together in the same fashion the screen-used prop would have gone together. Talk about accuracy Wink If it would be easier to mill, I can separate it further.

The added benefit, would be specifying how the inside should be milled as well. If you are going to attach motors and other moving parts to give the prop the same functionality as the screen-used prop, I can design the inside to spec, giving you a lot of freedom later to add mechanics. It's not that big of a headache (pardon the pun) to do this. I can also give you the unfinished whole head, or pieces of it in a file format you like, to do a couple test runs on this, whenever you are ready.

Culvan wrote:
Both of those are separate parts. The nose laser is supposed to be actuated so it extends. The eye slats are a red tinted acrylic. The slats would be best as a separate (or detachable) piece. The laser could be left off entirely or added as another removable part.

I figured that would be best. I'll model the slats so you can mill them in acrylic, to fit exactly, but I'll make them separate pieces, and they will not attach to the rest of the mesh. I can do the same with the laser if you wish to have the visible part of it milled, then attached to mechanics inside the head.

Culvan wrote:
Yes, it should be capped, there is a hole for the nose laser though. There is also a thin rectangular hole for a mouth, in the TV show a strip of paper like a printout would come out of there.

I'll cap the end of the nose, that actually makes it easier for me. You can't really see it in the screen-shot, but I had already made the inside of the nose area and attached it to the rest of the model. (That was probably the hardest part of the model thus far) I haven't modeled the mouth area yet, but it's next on my list to tackle, along with the ear-posts and eye slats.

The other question I have for you though, is about the area directly behind the slats. It almost looks like there are 2 light-bulbs in there, and I can't quite tell if that's what it is.

My guess would be not to model that portion, and just to leave an empty cavity with enough space to put 2 pieces of something in there, then attach the slats over the top of the hole. Let me know if this sounds accurate.

Second item I have a question about, and this may be minor, but the front of the face, next to where the mouth is, and the laser nose, extending around to the side of the head / snout seems rounded as well, and not sharp as in the CAD drawing. I can round it out for you in the model, or leave it sharp to be sanded down by hand. I was planning on rounding everything out more accurately, but it may take some time. I'll leave this one to you.

ALSO!

When this thing is finally done, I have more than 30 saved 3D Max scenes (I save a new file every time I make a major change) that I can give you to show the progression in even more detail than I have shown here. Being that I don't really plan on selling the model (won't get into the legal drama that would bring about) my only request is that if you're going to make a whole slew of these, just give me a little credit for the model, somewhere... not really even a big deal. I'm more concerned with helping you out, and in the same respect providing a proof of concept from 3D model to usable, tangible prop, from the garage / DIY level.

This has been a fun project, and after I'm done with this, and a couple designs on SW buckets, I'd love to work with you and/or others on making more.

My 3D Skills were in mothballs, so this has gotten me back into the swing of things and motivated to do some work in 3D again, and I'm really ecstatic to have the opportunity.

Thanks Andy!
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coffeehedake wrote:
The added benefit, would be specifying how the inside should be milled as well. If you are going to attach motors and other moving parts to give the prop the same functionality as the screen-used prop, I can design the inside to spec, giving you a lot of freedom later to add mechanics. It's not that big of a headache (pardon the pun) to do this. I can also give you the unfinished whole head, or pieces of it in a file format you like, to do a couple test runs on this, whenever you are ready.
My machine doesn't do double sided well. Currently I have to manually flip the object over and I haven't managed to work out realignment between the two sides. I'm assuming I'll have to hand tool the inside or build some sort of skeletal structure inside. I'll be putting a pair of servo motors to move the ears, a laser pointer and servo in the nose. The eye stalk is mounted on an automobile antenna that can extend and retract, however I'm planning on putting a real camera there and leaving out the antenna. There are two lights behind the acrylic that sorta look like eyes. If I really wanted to go all out I'd probably put a mini printer of some sort in the mouth, but that's pretty low on the priority list.

coffeehedake wrote:

The other question I have for you though, is about the area directly behind the slats. It almost looks like there are 2 light-bulbs in there, and I can't quite tell if that's what it is.

My guess would be not to model that portion, and just to leave an empty cavity with enough space to put 2 pieces of something in there, then attach the slats over the top of the hole. Let me know if this sounds accurate.
Yes, it's got two lights there. I suspect the real ones are automobile lights (like dome lights). However the power consumption of those is crazy compared to modern LEDs. I'm almost certain that I'll be putting LEDs there. If I want to get a more accurate glow I may design some sort of diffuser so it looks like the light is coming from something light bulb shaped. (I doubt I'll do that)

coffeehedake wrote:

Second item I have a question about, and this may be minor, but the front of the face, next to where the mouth is, and the laser nose, extending around to the side of the head / snout seems rounded as well, and not sharp as in the CAD drawing. I can round it out for you in the model, or leave it sharp to be sanded down by hand. I was planning on rounding everything out more accurately, but it may take some time. I'll leave this one to you.
I believe you are correct on this point as well. I know there is a regular head and a hero head (I believe there is a 3rd as well with the mouth printer). I'm not sure of that detail on all of them, but it's certainly there in the pictures you provided and the ones I found online. I guess it would be best to have that detail on the CAD model.

coffeehedake wrote:

ALSO!

When this thing is finally done, I have more than 30 saved 3D Max scenes (I save a new file every time I make a major change) that I can give you to show the progression in even more detail than I have shown here. Being that I don't really plan on selling the model (won't get into the legal drama that would bring about) my only request is that if you're going to make a whole slew of these, just give me a little credit for the model, somewhere... not really even a big deal. I'm more concerned with helping you out, and in the same respect providing a proof of concept from 3D model to usable, tangible prop, from the garage / DIY level.

This has been a fun project, and after I'm done with this, and a couple designs on SW buckets, I'd love to work with you and/or others on making more.

My 3D Skills were in mothballs, so this has gotten me back into the swing of things and motivated to do some work in 3D again, and I'm really ecstatic to have the opportunity.

Thanks Andy!

I feel like you are thanking me for doing my work for me. I appreciate the help. Hopefully I'll be able to apply the skills I've seen you put to use and start making my own models.

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Injection Moulding & Other Technology All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: