www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Blaxmyth diagram question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Mold Making Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tarohn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:48 pm    Post subject: Blaxmyth diagram question Reply with quote

I was reviewing the blaxmyth molds and design techniques and had a quick question. On page 2 it gives a very good diagram on the grid paper but I just wanted to know if anyone knew for sure what scale the grids are. I know there are 5 small boxes to the 1 large box. Can anyone confirm the size of either of the boxes for me.

http://www.tk560.com/blaxmyth/Page1.html

Last edited by Tarohn on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that same selection with the diagrams on grid paper there's a ruler in a pict titled Hand - 03. http://www.tk560.com/blaxmyth/blaxmyth-Pages/Image46.html
The ruler appears metric.
Also, the spacing on the grid paper suggests metric simply because there are 5 spaces to each larger grid and the overall scale would seem large for inches.
However, there is nothing that clearly indicates the actual scale.
hth, DougN
Tarohn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdougn wrote:
In that same selection with the diagrams on grid paper there's a ruler in a pict titled Hand - 03. http://www.tk560.com/blaxmyth/blaxmyth-Pages/Image46.html
The ruler appears metric.
Also, the spacing on the grid paper suggests metric simply because there are 5 spaces to each larger grid and the overall scale would seem large for inches.
However, there is nothing that clearly indicates the actual scale.
hth, DougN

Yes I thought about it being metric as well so. I thought 1 small box might = 1CM so that would be 5CM per box X 10 boxes so 50 CM when I convert that over to inches its 19.7 which is way to large for the base of the dome of the helmet.
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you're right on that......
Does it make sense that the Dome Side Profile would be almost 10" front to back? I thought that was big but maybe not. If 10" works, then it might be an engineering grid which is in 10ths of an inch.
One other option, decide what the part needs to measure then convert the grid scale to that. For example, if the Dome Side Profile should measure 9" front to back then each of the 49 grids would equal 0.184" or around 3/16".
Tarohn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdougn wrote:
Yeah, you're right on that......
Does it make sense that the Dome Side Profile would be almost 10" front to back? I thought that was big but maybe not. If 10" works, then it might be an engineering grid which is in 10ths of an inch.
One other option, decide what the part needs to measure then convert the grid scale to that. For example, if the Dome Side Profile should measure 9" front to back then each of the 49 grids would equal 0.184" or around 3/16".

I decided to go a different route. No reason to try and duplicate efforts I guess. I am going with WOF printable templates and just converting them from an actual design for a helmet to a solid for a mold. Seems to be working out so far. then again I am still on the dome. Will see how the face comes out. Either way that was going to be the tough part anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Mold Making Tips All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: