www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
trim press plans
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trapperdale
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: trim press plans Reply with quote

OK, 2 gross of parts per day is to much for my back and band saw!

need plans and or links for building a trim press so i can punch out my parts...
working with part 5" x 23" in .060 and .094"
any help would be great...

Scott, still waiting for those links.... Rolling Eyes

Dale.
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dale, what kind of budget are you looking at? You're working with mostly rectangular shapes with straight sides? My first thought is to look at a hydraulic shop press like Harbor Freight sells for around $140. Of course, it'd still take a lot of creative engineering to build an adequate table and cutters.
trapperdale
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks man...

right idea but the hand pump is just to slow.
great lead i never thought of for the base frame!
would save me hours of cutting and drilling...beer for you!!!

the plan is to look at both pneumatic or hydraulic then
the mechanical flywheel type.

pneumatic anything is the cheapest and fastest to build...
parts are every ware, but has limitations on how thick it can cut!
and the speed of the punch is frighting! Oops...just call me lefty....[/b]
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dale,

Sounds like you're really needing to crank out parts fast. Good for you!!

DougN
kayaker43
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I searched for years looking for die cutting info but there is virtually nothing in print. You can buy the steel rule die or have someone make the cutters for you, they aren't too expensive. They typically use a heavy 4 post press that very precisely maintains parrellelism between the heavy platens. Much too hard to make for the homebuilder. Smaller ones are often called clicker presses and have swing away top platens to allow easy access. Both types are massive, stiff and very high tolerance. The knives come down but never contact the bottom platen and can cut through one sheet of paper without cutting the one beneath it.

You are far better off looking for an old used clicker press, they turn up on ebay sometimes.

Even better would be a router table and simple trim jig if all your cuts are on a single plane.

Also other plans books and videos for people who like to build things
93RMW
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Nested Cutting Jig Reply with quote

Hey Dale, why not make a block to guide a nested group or 2 or 3 forms on the bandsaw? A little angle on the bottom of the guide can compensate for change in distance to the saw from the top and bottom forms to keep them even. Seems to me a good way to speed up the process a bit.

Maybe not long term but good middle of the road.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have looked into this same issue. Never had the time to make the dies though. Basically you need a a fulcrum lever, a wooden or metal plate, with mount points for different jigs. A MDF base, that can be replaced when it gets worn out. And the dies themselves. Me, I was going to use heat-treated sheet metal cut in the shapes I wanted, and then epoxied into a MDF sandwich. These would then be deep cut, to allow the parts to not get mashed up. I really need to upload my sketches for this thing. Not really all that hard to do, but does require some force to 'stamp out.

ANother thought was a hot wire knife, or laser. But I never did do enough research on those options.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
fast_monte
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search for "copy carver".

With this machine you can trace a shape blank on one side and trim the parts on the other. It is very quick.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fast_monte wrote:
Do a search for "copy carver".

With this machine you can trace a shape blank on one side and trim the parts on the other. It is very quick.

a pantograph machine is another name for this type of device. I made one years ago for sign work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just a pantograph, A three axis pantograph. A hand guided 3 axis router. What a great simple idea. I have two difficult cuts to make, it's drill a hole and then a jig saw, thin blade. I would need to find the right bit, maybe a thin, down spiral bit. A bit that would penetrate and then make the cut. Just one more thing to check out.. Thanks for the info.........Fredo
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fredo wrote:
Not just a pantograph, A three axis pantograph. A hand guided 3 axis router. What a great simple idea. I have two difficult cuts to make, it's drill a hole and then a jig saw, thin blade. I would need to find the right bit, maybe a thin, down spiral bit. A bit that would penetrate and then make the cut. Just one more thing to check out.. Thanks for the info.........Fredo

Look for 1/8" drywall bits for the RotoZip tool sold at big box stores. They also sell an adapter to install the bit into a 1/4" router if needed. They're cheap. last pretty good, downspiral, and cut pretty fast since they aren't removing so much stock.
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a like new,Craftmans answer to the RotoZip at Super Pawn. It came with a case , flex shaft, circle cutter, fence, ect., a doz. asst. 1/8' downsprial bits, out the door, $26.75, love my pawn shop. Ordering the plans today. It should cut my trim time by 80%. It and my bench router means I can up my production to 50 finished units a day.

I'll keep a building log to post, but to be fair to the seller of the plans, I will not include any measurements. I'm ordering the $26.00 set, it comes with a hard copy. I don't have a printer..... I have another idea, but I'm trying to make expert, so I'll put it in another post.......Fredo

fast_monte
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also made a flange trimming tool to trim parts that need a flange.

Use a piece of bar stock twice the diameter of the desired flange, center drill it to accept a piece of music wire, drill and tap for a set screw to retain the wire. The music wire is sharpened to a point using a drill to spin it against a grinding wheel. I sharpen both ends so when is gets dull just flip it over. When you trace the part the sharpened wire scores the plastic around the part equal to the radius of the bar stock. The tool scores the plastic in any direction so corners are easy. The plastic will bend and break at the scored lines.
fast_monte
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a picture:

Note that I used the nub left over from the parting tool to do the scoring.

These work too. http://www.harborfreight.com/28-piece-transfer-punch-set-3577.html
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fast_monte wrote:
I have also made a flange trimming tool to trim parts that need a flange.

Use a piece of bar stock twice the diameter of the desired flange, center drill it to accept a piece of music wire, drill and tap for a set screw to retain the wire. The music wire is sharpened to a point using a drill to spin it against a grinding wheel. I sharpen both ends so when is gets dull just flip it over. When you trace the part the sharpened wire scores the plastic around the part equal to the radius of the bar stock. The tool scores the plastic in any direction so corners are easy. The plastic will bend and break at the scored lines.

This sounds like a great idea for thinner plastics! How thick have you tried?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: