www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
American Newbie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spacephrawg
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:25 am    Post subject: American Newbie Reply with quote

hello! I just found out about this forum and it is a lucky thing too since i am considering eventually producing my own RC car bodies, as well as detail components for scale models that I will produce by other means.

I live in the North East united states but wasn't sure what time zone that put me in in relation to GMT, hence the discrepancy.

The primary project I intend to work on is somehow making a body shell of a Uaz 3151 truck. I will be seeking advice elsewhere on the forum of course.

In addition to model building, i also do fine art sculpture in ceramic (never pottery!).
CJanssen
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting RC body to work with. You don't see many trucks like that around!

Andsetinn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums. This body is nr. 5 on my list of rc bodies. Smile I'm still trying to get the first to acceptable quality.
spacephrawg
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andsetinn wrote:
Welcome to the forums. This body is nr. 5 on my list of rc bodies. Smile I'm still trying to get the first to acceptable quality.

What is the first?

Also how are you going about creating the mold for it? I'm doing mine in Rhino and will have it printed or CNC'd in wood or metal.

As for the Uaz, are you trying to make a hardtop or soft top version? I was thinking of taking a few minor liberties with mine including slightly increasing the bulge of the "hips" and giving the hood a slight down-curve.

In the so-so racing game Uaz Racing 4x4, there is this fictional version of the rig that seems to be a cross between a Uaz 3151 and a Bowler Wildcat which i will also produce if the first one goes well.

I might also do a 3153 long wheelbase version.

What wheelbases are you doing? I'm thinking of making two sizes: 10.5 and 11.4 (or slightly longer) to accommodate the two most popular chassis', the Tamiya CC01 and the Axial SCX10.

If this project goes well, I might also do some Dakar racers, Bowler Nemesis first among them, with some liberties taken of course to avoid copyright.

For some reason I'm also fond of the Lada Niva. Also some armored vehicles like the Panhard VBL, and some of the Unimog variants.

But first things first, Uaz 3151 all the way.
Andsetinn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The body I'm working on now is Land Rover Series II, the early version with the lights "inside" by the grill. I'm having problems with webbing and sticking.
First on the to do list is FOFF (Formula Offroad Iceland, mostly based around Willis/Jeep. You can do a search on Youtube to get some idea). Nissan Patrol, Gaz/UAZ 69A, VW Corrado and UAZ 469 (almost the same car as you're going to do). Somewhere in between I'll be doing wheel arch extenders, bumper, and other scale items for crawling. I also want to do a Caravan for RC Caravan Racing and maybe camper houses for pickup bodies.
I also want to do Citroen CV2 for crawlers, the Beetle has too many versions and they're similar bodies. Smile

My molds are done by hand for now. I don't have skills at CAD and don't know anyone with CNC mahcine. I have no experience working with clay and don't know where to get good clay so I glue MDF plates together into a lump and then remove what is not like a Land Rover using large belt sander and Dremel Smile.

I haven't decided on a version for the UAZ but most likely it'll be the soft top. The FOFF will be made to fit extended AX10, by 5 cm.

I also like the Lada Niva but it's nearly impossible to do a scale model of that for RC because it's so short.
spacephrawg
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andsetinn wrote:
The body I'm working on now is Land Rover Series II, the early version with the lights "inside" by the grill. I'm having problems with webbing and sticking.
First on the to do list is FOFF (Formula Offroad Iceland, mostly based around Willis/Jeep. You can do a search on Youtube to get some idea). Nissan Patrol, Gaz/UAZ 69A, VW Corrado and UAZ 469 (almost the same car as you're going to do). Somewhere in between I'll be doing wheel arch extenders, bumper, and other scale items for crawling. I also want to do a Caravan for RC Caravan Racing and maybe camper houses for pickup bodies.
I also want to do Citroen CV2 for crawlers, the Beetle has too many versions and they're similar bodies. Smile

My molds are done by hand for now. I don't have skills at CAD and don't know anyone with CNC mahcine. I have no experience working with clay and don't know where to get good clay so I glue MDF plates together into a lump and then remove what is not like a Land Rover using large belt sander and Dremel Smile.

I haven't decided on a version for the UAZ but most likely it'll be the soft top. The FOFF will be made to fit extended AX10, by 5 cm.

I also like the Lada Niva but it's nearly impossible to do a scale model of that for RC because it's so short.

In reverse order, the Lada Niva would work on the Tamiya CC01's short wheelbase I think.

You sure the soft top thing would look good vacuum formed?

You are brave making molds the way you are. I don't trust myself with symmetry when working by hand so thats why I'm going hte computer route.

What parts of your casting are webbing on the LR series2? Can you post pictures?

I'm a big fan of all the rigs you named. THe FOFF was featured on an older ep of Top Gear where they managed to get it to hydroplane across a lake, racing a snowmobile doing exactly the same thing. It was pretty epic and it is an inspired choice for a crawler.

What gauge of polycarbonate is recommended for RC car bodies btw?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: