www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Hello

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linkxsc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Hello Reply with quote

O/ all
Hey I'm from up in new hampshire and over the years, Starwars cons, anime cons, comic cons and the other things my friends all have dragged me to I've seen some pretty neat things made by people with vaccu-forming (however you spell it) and so my friend and I are building a machine in the next couple weeks so that we can make costumes easily.

Probably going to be asking for a lot of advice over the next few weeks, and thanks in advance for anyone who helps out.

And so for a first question. Could you put fiberglass on the back (inside part) of say a plastic formed stormtrooper (mainly for back of legs) so that it could better resist damage when sitting down or something?
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Hello Reply with quote

linkxsc wrote:
O/ all
Hey I'm from up in new hampshire and over the years, Starwars cons, anime cons, comic cons and the other things my friends all have dragged me to I've seen some pretty neat things made by people with vaccu-forming (however you spell it) and so my friend and I are building a machine in the next couple weeks so that we can make costumes easily.

Probably going to be asking for a lot of advice over the next few weeks, and thanks in advance for anyone who helps out.

And so for a first question. Could you put fiberglass on the back (inside part) of say a plastic formed stormtrooper (mainly for back of legs) so that it could better resist damage when sitting down or something?

Hey linkxsc, welcome to the forum from southern Indiana.

Adding fiberglass to the plastic part would be more expensive and complicated than using slightly thicker plastic in the first place. I use 3/16" ABS to form parts and a jeep can park on the part after it's formed. That thick would be overkill for armor but just go a gauge or two thicker than normal if the armor needs to be more durable. May take some experimenting around to get it worked out just right but I think that'd be much simpler.
Culvan
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Hello Reply with quote

linkxsc wrote:

I've heard of people making Fiberglass Reinforced Palstic (FRP). I read something about it over on the 405th forum. I seem to recall someone had used the technique to make a butt plate they could sit on without fear it would break. I don't recall any deatils of how it's done, but I know it's possible.

There are a lot of factors to consider. If you have a good vacuum pump and an even oven then perhaps you should consider ABS plastic. It's a little more difficult to use, but it's also better at dealing with wear. If your Vac-table is not up for that then perhaps HIPS with fiberglas reinforcement is the way to go.

Andy
linkxsc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha, ok, well I was also wondering, on top of ABS sheets. Would something like Lexan be form-able? Kinda pricey, but a friend has 2 palates of the stuff bought from a warehouse auction.
Or easier, is there somewhere in the forums where theres a list of known usable materials?
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the board. Sounds like a cool project. No need to use fiberglass if you are making trooper type armor, as HIPS and ABS flex enough to regular trooping use. I used .080 and .093 HIPS plastic to make my trooper armor, and it seems fine. Its easier to form than ABS, in my opinion unless you are using a vacuum tank and pump.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: