www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Jeep Wrangler 'TJ' Half door project

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Jeep Wrangler 'TJ' Half door project Reply with quote

Well, the rag top on Jeeps are great in the Summer time, or when the weather is nice out side. The half doors are pretty cool too. Gives a bit of protection but with the top off, you really never notice them.

One thing that is bothering me about my top part of these half doors, is, well, wind noise. It occurred to me that if I were to fabricate a more solid upper section, maybe from ABS or HIPS, with PETG sliding windows, I might be able to cut down on SOME of the noise.

I also thought the rear side section might be a good place to start too, replacing the side windows with a solid ABS/HIPS/PETG version, again using the current top, and side curtain mounting.

Finally, a thought occurred to me, to make a replacement rear door upper section, like the half doors; something mounted to the swing out rear door.

If successful, and ALL these mods were done, it would be part soft top, and part semi-hard top. I guess it would have to be called a 'combo-top'... Watch this thread for some concept art and mock ups.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is going to be interesting! I like the "combo" idea.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going through some ideas right now. Looking for a spare set of Jeep half door frames. I'm thinking I can use some off the shelf weather stripping, some PETG and some HIPS to make a semi-hard replacement for the canvas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress?

You've got me thinking about doing something similar for the Jeep Cherokee now. Lots of guys take off their doors but still want something, a half door, to keep out water, mud, & dust.

Hmm......
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not had much time to to work on it, but I have taken some measurements, and have sketched up some concept ideas. I basically need to get a set of half door wire frames before I get too carried away with this project. Watching ebay and craigslist for some now...
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think a half-door could be created without using the metal wire frames? Perhaps a thick ABS skin with reinforced mounting points for hinges & the latch?
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There would have to be a way to mount the upper section to the lower half door. Pegs, or some sort of pin type bracket maybe. I was thinking since these wire frames are already made, and ready to go, it would be easier to use the wire frames...
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh.....
I missed that you still wanted to have the upper portion. The guys doing the half doors for Cherokees are doing it to get away from the glass and all. Big difference then I what I was thinking......
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress is slow... Sorry no updates as of yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> All Things Jeep All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: