www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
CAT IN THE HAT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Costumes & Equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: CAT IN THE HAT Reply with quote

Sorry I've being out for a while, but working too many projects at the same time. I'm working on a piece of latex appliance as makeup for my PreSchool class next month. I wonder who reminds you of. "Sam-I-Am; with Green Eggs and Ham..."

How about THIS guy...?

[img]http://www.movieposter.com/posters/archive/main/16/MPW-8334[/img] (Place Mike Myers laugh here) Mr. Green

This will be used for both CITH and GRINCH... plus anyone who wouuld want the same for THING 1&2 and any Dr. Seuss character. I still have to rework the nose a little, since it looks more GRINCH and anything else.

I got the day off from work (Wednesday), and I’ve decided to start with “the HARD STUFF”. Finally got to re-shape the nose, and soon after, I’ve made the “mold wall” to pour the hydrostone (plaster) to make the mold… needless to say, it was a ROYAL PAIN in the butt to make sure no leaks or weak areas were exposed.

After a couple of hours, the result is FLAWLESS! The mold came out SUPER-SMOOTH and CLEAN, with minimal cleanup to do, perhaps of the generous quantity of the mold release spray…

A closeup of the nose mold… so happy it came out great, and no bubbles, regardless of the small quantity of grass and debris was mixed up while in the process of mixing the plaster (I did it in the grass… bad idea),

And my own “COPYRIGHT” at the bottom of the mold, just in case,

By the weekend, I should have a casting of the nose done, to be able to wear in about two weeks (March 1st and 2nd for the Celebration of Dr. Seuss’ Birthday). More to come soon. Wink

Here’s the final result of my nose casting, after less than 12 hours of pouring the latex rubber, instead of 24 hours as recommended, quite happy with the result:

In this one, disregard the hand casting, it was for size comparison (and to hold the mold properly to an angle for the sunlight to hit directly)…

With the appliance partially on my nose. All it needs now is light trimming with scissors, paint, and good to go.

The sculpt it’s probably like 20% less the regular size of my face, due that it was just on an undersized mannequin head instead of my own head casting, and latex reduces in size about 10%.

After this, I’ll make it bigger… that’s if I find someone reasonable to make my own head-bust casting for future projects… about one or two in mind for next year… not to mention my own HELMET/MASK DISPLAYS.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, great work on the nose mold. Makes me laugh to see in actually on someone other than the "grinch". Thanks for posting up!
DougN
DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here’s the semi-final results: the costume was no where to be found (property of my job, of course), so I’ve had to improvise BIG TIME. The nose fits well, but not perfect, since I have to make the mix with foam to make it more lightweight, or “FOAM LATEX” for better description, or in silicone for flexibility.

Nose painted and trimmed,

And wearing my improvised Cat in the Hat “costume”,

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert, those kids will remember the day they meet the Cat in the Hat for a long, long time. Good work & thanks for posting up!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Costumes & Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: