www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Total Failure :-)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Mold Making Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qmavam

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Total Failure :-) Reply with quote

Ok, I tried using the plaster and clay I had on hand to make a mold for the corners of my coolers.
I made the mold and put it on a shelf and forgot about it for a week. When
I went back to it, it had shrunk and cracked into several pieces.
For my next attempt I'll try Bondo.
That is unless someone chimes in and gives a proven method they have used, with materials I can get.
Thanks, Mike
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way IMHO would be to cut a good corner off an old cooler and use that to pour your molds into. Use your clay to support and level the thin plastic when you pour. I've used Durham's Water Putty and have had simple molds last for over a hundred pulls...........Fredo
Qmavam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fredo wrote:
The best way IMHO would be to cut a good corner off an old cooler and use that to pour your molds into. Use your clay to support and level the thin plastic when you pour. I've used Durham's Water Putty and have had simple molds last for over a hundred pulls...........Fredo

Thanks Fredo,
My old coolers don't have any good corners Smile
I'll give it another try with Water Putty.
Mike
ANH trooper
Master

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that you used air drying clay and not oil based. If using air drying, you must keep your sculpts in a sealed plastic bag (or similar) when you are finished with it to prevent it cracking. I found this out the hard way after spending countless hours sculpting trooper armour parts onto plaster body casts. The thinner the clay is laid, the easier it cracks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I second ANH trooper's remarks. I used water-based clay, and the stuff cracked off soooo easily... Rolling Eyes

But, It didn't matter because of my process I was using... Razz

-------------------------------------------------------

jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANH trooper wrote:
My guess is that you used air drying clay and not oil based. If using air drying, you must keep your sculpts in a sealed plastic bag (or similar) when you are finished with it to prevent it cracking. I found this out the hard way after spending countless hours sculpting trooper armour parts onto plaster body casts. The thinner the clay is laid, the easier it cracks.

+1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do these damn bots keep getting in, and as a guest no less? I can't find him on the member list. They all seem to have a number after the name. In a way, it does seem to relate to the title of the thread. To bad we can't hunt them down and drive a stake through their heart, or at the very least, put their head on a stick... I doubt even that would stop them..oh well........Fredo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Mold Making Tips All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: