www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Westworld 1973

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Atomic Sci-Fi Drive In
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Westworld 1973 Reply with quote

Well, I finally picked up this classic on DVD a few weeks ago, and had a lazy evening, so me and the youngest sat down to watch it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070909/

Oh, my this thing was pretty interesting for it's time.

Michael Crichton wrote and directed it. An early draft of his 'Theme Park Gone Wild' is in full form, and lots of techno-babble for those folks that love that sort of thing. There is even Rudy Wells from 'The Six Million Dollar Man' TV series, and even Majel Barrett from Star Trek!

Some interesting concepts for the time:

$1000 a day resort, where you could live out your fantasies. [any of them!]

Robots so real you could not tell them from humans. [except for the hands]

A computer/machine virus, long before it was a real world concept.

A 'Terminator' type robot that could not be reasoned with, and was programmed to kill you!

Some pretty decent FX work on the robot bodies. And the thermal sensors visuals.

Most famous for having Yul Brynner portray the bag guy. You can really see where Jim Cameron must have been inspired by that concept when he was writing the Terminator.

Some concepts that were touched upon, but were sadly lacking due to the time in which it was filmed in:

Sex with the robots was mostly glossed over, but there is one scene where the main character [Richard Benjamin] makes love to a 'girl' in a old west brothel. If remade today, it would be much more raunchy.

The chase scene would have been much longer and much more like what we have come to expect with 'machines gone wild' type films. Think the Terminator, and you get a sense of where this would go if remade.

Overall, I have fond memories of watching this on the 'ABC Sunday Night Movie' and it looks a lot better in widescreen.

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
coffeehedake
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize this is an old post and all, but this is one of my favorite movies, and by my favorite author.

I wasn't even born when this movie came out, and I was impressed as hell when I watched it years ago on TV.

I knew that Crichton had written and directed a movie, called Westworld, but I knew nothing other than that before I saw it.

Yul Brynner is great as the bad guy in this film, and I completely agree that Terminator must have gotten a lot of inspirations from it.

You can also see where Crichton pulled from his own work to write the Jurassic Park novel and co-write the screenplay for the film (which are both favorites of mine).

I'm going to check to see if it's available on Netflix, I'd love to see it again.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coffeehedake wrote:
I realize this is an old post and all, but this is one of my favorite movies, and by my favorite author.

I wasn't even born when this movie came out, and I was impressed as hell when I watched it years ago on TV.

I knew that Crichton had written and directed a movie, called Westworld, but I knew nothing other than that before I saw it.

Yul Brynner is great as the bad guy in this film, and I completely agree that Terminator must have gotten a lot of inspirations from it.

You can also see where Crichton pulled from his own work to write the Jurassic Park novel and co-write the screenplay for the film (which are both favorites of mine).

I'm going to check to see if it's available on Netflix, I'd love to see it again.

I Saw this movie in the theater when it came out, I love it! one of my all time favorites, Yul Brynner! Futerworld wasn't bad either as far as 70's Sci Fy goes. But Star Wars still blew them all away when it came out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Atomic Sci-Fi Drive In All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: