www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Rotatianal casting a wax face mold

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Mold Making Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Rotatianal casting a wax face mold Reply with quote

I plan to face cast some tools using vac-master-50 from www.alumilite.com Decided to cast the tool first in wax to determine what volume will equal what wall thickness in the final product. I'm thinking about 3/8" overall wall thickness... Good thing about the wax is that I can remelt it in my electric wax pot and recast as many times as needed..... Knowing abs is such a poor conductor of heat, I set up a cooling water spray to rotate the casting in. After 5 min. the bottom pc was unclamped and a hole was cut to relieve the vacuum cased by cooling, and to flush the inside with water to further cool the wax.
When the tool is cast in vm-50, the tool bottom gets cut open and filled. The molds will be made to bolt to their own dedicated mold base , and not be used on a platen..... Anyway that's the grand plan............Fredo

The chill line is marked to show how much wax went into the mold.

Last edited by Fredo on Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
IMMark
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always love to see what everyone is up to and what can be accomplished!
Not even sure I understand all of this one, but I love it Very Happy
Thanks for sharing!!
Mark
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VacMaster-50 is $155.00 for 20#. I need 4 tools. If I cast hollow tools and use a cheap filler, I'll only need 20# of the resin. Solid tools would take another 20# of resin. For small solid tools alum resin is very cost effective. It's a lot cheaper to fill the larger tools with filler of some sort. You could, if you wanted, insert a cooling coil made of copper, and finish filling with the alum. enhanced resin and have a water cooled tool.
The wax casting tells me how much resin will be needed to cast a tool with the wall thickness I need, with no waste.........Fredo
Big Al

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Resin Calculation for Rotocastig a helmet Reply with quote

Can you tell me what the the calculation or formula would be for the amount of resin needed to rotocast a part?

perhaps with a 1/8 inch thickness?
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the formula would be surface area, [including any part of the casting you plan on removing] X the thickness you want. I chose to cast a known volume of wax, then measure the wall thickness of the casting and adjust from there.... I have a 1/2 gal. wax pot that melts wax and maintains a set temp. so that's what I used..... Lacking that I would have found something else, probably a cheap casting resin. Once you know what a certain volume equals in wall thickness, then you can adjust the volume for whatever wall thickness you want, with a fair degree of accuracy................Fredo
Big Al

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fredo wrote:
I guess the formula would be surface area, [including any part of the casting you plan on removing] X the thickness you want. I chose to cast a known volume of wax, then measure the wall thickness of the casting and adjust from there.... I have a 1/2 gal. wax pot that melts wax and maintains a set temp. so that's what I used..... Lacking that I would have found something else, probably a cheap casting resin. Once you know what a certain volume equals in wall thickness, then you can adjust the volume for whatever wall thickness you want, with a fair degree of accuracy................Fredo

Thanks Fredo, I am on another forum and we are gathing information on rotocasting and resin casting for cylon helmets and it's hard to find information on a calculated approch to resin needed for making the helmets and parts.

Most info on the processes are making the molds then the actual pour but not the calcs for the resin needed.

There is info on solid castin but not hollow casting (Go Figure) lol

anyway thanks for your reply and I will pass the info on to my friends.
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Use clay: Resin Calculation for Rotocastig a helmet Reply with quote

Big Al wrote:
Can you tell me what the the calculation or formula would be for the amount of resin needed to rotocast a part?

For what I do trying to calculate surface areas would be nearly impossible. You could just line with the right thickness of clay then pull it all out pound into a cube & calculate. Or, rice & clay would work also. Fill the mold with dry rice & measure the volume. Line the mold with clay the desired thickness. Fill the balance with rice & measure the difference in the volume of the rice. Just an idea.
dn
Big Al

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Use clay: Resin Calculation for Rotocastig a helmet Reply with quote

jdougn wrote:
Big Al wrote:

For what I do trying to calculate surface areas would be nearly impossible. You could just line with the right thickness of clay then pull it all out pound into a cube & calculate. Or, rice & clay would work also. Fill the mold with dry rice & measure the volume. Line the mold with clay the desired thickness. Fill the balance with rice & measure the difference in the volume of the rice. Just an idea.
dn

Thanks for the techniqe tip Thats sounds like a great way to do it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Mold Making Tips All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: