www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
DV1's New Project...OCP POLICE HELMETS.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Costumes & Equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-UPDATE-

I’m sculpting the side details of the helmet and will be ready to make molds for the vacuum forming machine by this weekend. The first one at the right, I had to start over again since it came out too bulky, and the measures were not correct from the pictures to the actual helmet I have, resulting in a 4th version sculpt (perfectly done for the right side), but the results of correcting myself and find ways of doing things were taking a toll on my body…. Literally! (clack)…OUCH!

Look what happened while making those white rings for the center piece FROM SCRATCH with plastic resin and disposable cups; drilling and using a dremel to make a hole in the center and make them perfect…

when accidents happens; broken drill bit; drill slipped hitting me in the finger…

These is what I’ve accomplished so far… the first (actually version 3) for the left ear is on the right, with the new one done at the left (right ear).

And here a few shots of the screen-used helmet (right side), I have over two dozen pics of the screen used helmet from the person who own it now in a museum in France,

Now that I'm looking at the pics I still have to fix a few details here and there, namely at the bottom back, and the gap between the circle and the face shield “stopper”…, the paper print outs I have are not that defined as in the pics on a PC screen. More to come by this weekend.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My latest update: the “dome” casting.

This is the “plug” to be used in the vacuum-forming machine to make the piece that covers the “original” helmet shell… this is a work-in-progress, since now I have to use some BONDO… big time, to make this plug as the final product.

Here’s what it should look like in three different shots: Top is a screen caption. Now, you see the middle ridge line in my original casting (second pic)... now you DON'T (third pic)...

I've being doing some work on how to make the last two molds for the vacuum forming process, plus making sure to have my vac-forming machine to work properly.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, good news. Since I think I already have a "PROSPECT - FIRST- CUSTOMER", I’ve accelerated the process and I've just finish sculpting and making the mold for the left ear cover TODAY, just in case I have to redo something in the process, meaning that’s the very LAST MOLD of the main helmet besides the one for the FACESHIELD.... I have already a plan to save on time and material costs to make it happen.

Here is the process, compared to the right side… only difference is that the left side will be added the “boom microphone” and the “activation switch” of said bendable boom mic.

Starting the sculpting process; new one on the right. I’ve saved the left one for measurement and alignment purposes… as in the pics

Completed sculpt (again, new one on the right),

Silicone rubber layer,

And now the plaster bandage shell. Now it’s up to make the castings for the table,

I’ll be starting (actually) the vacuum-forming process after Monday more likely, since I have to fix the castings first for the table. More updates coming up soon.

Wink

DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since we have bad weather in the Alabama-Georgia border area… I’ve decided to do something inside instead, just to take advantage of the situation… to start with the OCP POLICE VEST.

I’ve seen some folks in a picture (below), I don’t know when or where that pic was taken, but the guys in OCP police uniform are not quite exactly accurate, specially the VEST. Waaaaay off. I have to give them kudos for the closeness of the pockets location on their jumpsuits, unless those are the real deal,

The ones I’m about to start, are as close as it could be from the originals and not just some foam pads with some stitching as in tha pic above, but based only on screen grab pictures, close-to-accurate materials, and average measurements according to the pics. I’m just trying to figure out some things, such as the straps on the shoulders, which looks different from pic to pic of screen grabs, and proper attachment method (I know already it’s generally VELCRO).

Here’s what I’ve done today… the PATTERNS for the vest. Started with measurements and diagrams based on myself, my wife, and a mannequin torso I have from a friend,

the drafting process based on the measurements, and correcting errors, based on the measurements,

And here they are, the completed patterns… consist of 4 pieces: one for the main outer fabric, one for the collar, one for the chest/back cushioning (the white and yellow are the same), and one for the belly/back “ribs”, upgradeable/downgradeable for front and back.

Again, here's a screen grab compilation pic for comparison;

Thanks to that last pic, I’ve just remember I have to add something to the front panel, to add a half inch “flare” outwards, as seen in the screen caps, but not important, plus some details I missed in the design process, so this pattern is NOT THE FINAL RESULT. As I’ve mentioned before, I should have a FULL COSTUME prototype done sometime next week… unless something happens.

jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work! I have a lot of admiration for anyone with the level of artistic skill shown in your work!
dn
DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words. Smile

I've hit a snag yesterday while working on the vest, which forced me to go to the sewing supply store (Jo-Ann Fabrics) today, plus some fabric/material I needed for the Velcro closure on the sides. Here’s the finished vest on my wife and on a mannequin. There’s more room for improvement, but looks really accurate being the first one done. The padding inside was a pain in the rear to install, so as dealing with the velcro closures on the shoulders, so as the method of doing things to it could look and work accurately.

My wife with the jumpsuit and utility belt, sorry for the dark and fuzzy picture,

And now on a mannequin torso outside,

With utility belt on,

I was relying on pics from different vests made, from screen grabs and pics of one actually done by someone in a similar way, but not accurate, also on the mannequin torso in previous pics I’ve posted. What do you think?

DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, sorry for the lack of news, but a lot of stuff have been happening in my real life, not to mention bad weather.

Finally, I’ve got to do some vacuum forming at home after quite a few setbacks. My vac-forming machine was not heating enough I don’t know why, making me waste two sheets of plastic of two different thickness (.060” and .040”) thinking that the thinner plastic could do the job… I was wrong.

But that’s something I’ll deal with later on. In the meantime, after using a “JEDI MIND TRICK” on my wife, I’ve had to use my first improvised vacuum forming machine, which so far I have no complaints since the first time… my KITCHEN OVEN and this setup; the vacuum table top set for the aluminum frame (in the corner behind the table) with binding clips, frame being just big enough to fit inside the oven; heat gun; a 6 hp – 16 Gallon SHOPVAC; and an improvised wood bracket to hold the aluminum frame (which you’ll see with the helmet pieces),

Finally, I have all the pieces to put together this piece of art. This are the pieces, roughly trimmed, just out of the vac-form table, with the improvised wood holding bracket behind them,

These are all the pieces for the helmet (lightly trimmed), but there are some more pieces not pictured, but are just minimal… like the visor, fake boom microphone, chin strap, fuses, padding and screws, which I already have handy,

Here’s the ear center greeblie, and fits like “Cinderella’s Shoe

I’ll be having the assembled helmet just before the next weekend, since I’ve started a new job and little time available during the week.

DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Josh, I really appreciate it. Smile

I’ve being kinda busy lately; real life stuff mostly, but slowly moving forward with the project. I just didn’t want to post anything unless I have some pics. Well, I’ve order some nylon strapping material to add to the actual hockey helmet chin straps I currently have, which it seems that they did the same I’m planning to do back then… adding the extra strap to make them look like MILITARY CHIN STRAPS. If you don’t believe it, watch the first movie again, and notice the difference in thickness in the chin straps. Another thing you don't see here is the clear visor, which I will post pictures this week.

Just attached the fuses to the ear details and the “boom microphone” by using the fish tank tubing, and some thin aluminum wire, able to fit through the plastic tubing, and be BENDABLE to the needs. I still have to trim to (expected) size and do the microphone silver tip, but that will be the very last thing before finishing, just to have an estimate measure of the whole thing.

Last pic with the ear greeblies in place (cannot permanently attach them until I have everything put together first, to include the visor)… the assembly method might change with the time, though,

DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve being kinda busy lately; real life stuff mostly, but slowly moving forward with the project. I just didn’t want to post anything unless I have some pics. Well, I’ve order some nylon strapping material to add to the actual hockey helmet chin straps I currently have, which it seems that they did the same I’m planning to do back then… adding the extra strap to make them look like MILITARY CHIN STRAPS. If you don’t believe it, watch the first movie again, and notice the difference in thickness in the chin straps. Another thing you don't see here is the clear visor, which I will post pictures this week.

Just attached the fuses to the ear details and the “boom microphone” by using the fish tank tubing, and some thin aluminum wire, able to fit through the plastic tubing, and be BENDABLE to the needs. I still have to trim to (expected) size and do the microphone silver tip, but that will be the very last thing before finishing, just to have an estimate measure of the whole thing.

Last pic with the ear greeblies in place (cannot permanently attach them until I have everything put together first, to include the visor)… the assembly method might change with the time, though,

More to come this week. BTW, I've just noticed the difference between the visor "stoppers" on the last pic... something I could fix after Dragon*Con. Remember, this is a prototype, and NOT THE FINAL VERSION.

IMMark
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent!!
Love seeing these types of posts.
Just curious, any idea of how many hours (or days) you will have in this?
Best of luck
Mark
DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMMark wrote:
Excellent!!
Love seeing these types of posts.
Just curious, any idea of how many hours (or days) you will have in this?
Best of luck
Mark

I've being quite busy and working with this project for two years now, but using my available free time whenever I can to work on it.

UPDATE - HELMET IS DONE!

But first, let me explain the last steps… I had to come up with a stencil based from screen grabs and measure to my own helmet. After making sure the size is right, then I cut and bent the PETG plastic with a heat gun.

After cutting, I’ve sanded the edges for a smooth finish. Took the top part of the protective film, and covered with painters tape to make the 1” black border with black satin spray paint.

And here’s the finished helmet. There’s still room for improvements in small areas, but I’ll be fixing those before making a second helmet set, Next time, I’ll use some kind of mold for the visor for a more straight look

Real hockey chin strap, real car fuze, real slide switch, and imitation microphone, which I did with the small diameter aquarium tubing and some thin wire I’ve found around,

The tip of the microphone, all I did was to submerge the tip in silver paint. Note to self: next time, I’ll use ACRYLIC PAINT, instead of the Testors brand enamel.

All I have to add is the padding inside, and add the crossing strap to the chin strap, just to make it look like the one used on military helmets. I hope you like it. If anyone’s interested, I’ll be fixing the molds soon after Dragon*Con, and offer them once I’m happy with the results.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Costumes & Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: