www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
The Circle of Mentorship.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spektr
Master

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: The Circle of Mentorship. Reply with quote

Today is a wierd day.. I saw it coming for a while, but now its here and I'm feeling many things. You dont know Skip, but he broke me into the plastic manufacturing game when I didn't know squat about it. I was a young engineer and he was an old veteran fabricator.. We hit it off and for some reason he invested years into me making me pretty good at the plastic game. At first, I'd be on the phone or living in his shop draining his brain and he was good with that. As I got better, we started shifting the relationship to peers/good friends and later, I finally got to give back a few things to him that I'd picked up over the years that helped him out...... Well yesterday we had lunch and he told me he was finally closing the shop to new work and was winding down the operation. We talked like brothers, he gave me my last "Dad" speech and then he hit me with it..... A favor, just one little one. Skip asked me to be good to the new guys, show them what I know without expecting anything in return and to pass on the knowlege freely. Skip told me that I made his dad proud because he got to watch his son Skip teach me the ropes... There are some people who you can never repay adequatly for what they give to you, and I am so indebted to Skip for the years that he has been there for me. I guess the secret to mentorship is that it is a circle, and the silent expectation is that I will step up and pass on to someone the gifts that were handed to me, for free, for no reason other than respect for those who came before me.......
IMMark
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting, that was a good read!
And I speak as one that has already benefited from your wealth of knowledge and your willingness to share it.
So my sincere thanks to you, to Skip, and to those that came before him.
Sharing of knowledge and teaching others is one of the most noble things we can do.
Mark
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, thanks for sharing Skip's story. I too have benefited greatly from your advice and knowledge. Hopefully, someday I'll be able to pass that on to someone in the same way it was passed on to me. Thanks Scott!
DougN
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: