www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Plans for the future

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linkxsc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Plans for the future Reply with quote

So yeah, I joined this forum a while ago, had great plans for building a vacuum former and all. Well I have built a couple, all based on the hinged design on the website here. Recently I've started plotting to build one of those Proto-form, oven on top over the vac table rigadoobies. Just waiting on my bank to update my debit card so I can go buy the plans.

I plan to post pictures of that as I build it.

However for right now, of all idiocity, I've thought about this for a while. So say you had a small forming table, 1'x2' or 1'x1'. Something you could have on your desk in an office so you could show people what vacuum forming is. And you didn't want to go to the trouble of building an oven for it. Theres nothing wrong with taking like a 2 burner hotplate, putting a disposable roaster pan with 2 holes cut out of it (for the burners) over the top of it, then using a second one as a lid. And use that as the oven?

My other Idea was I could get a large toaster oven that can take the piece of plastic in its frame, because that would be nice and enclosed so no one at my presentation would get hurt.

Last edited by linkxsc on Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not built a small oven but it is certainly do-able. Any source of controlled & even heating will work to heat plastic.

Here's a couple links. Dr Crash used to frequent this forum but I haven't seen him on here for awhile. He did some nice work using off the shelf stuff to build vac formers & ovens.

http://www.tk560.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=390
http://vacuumformerplans.blogspot.com/2007/06/web-sites-for-vacuum-forming.html
http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-good,-cheap,-upgradeable-sheet-plastic-vacu/

hth, DougN
spektr
Master

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO IT THE EASY WAY, BUY A BLACK BODY T SHIRT DRYER ON EBAY. SCREEN PRINTERS EVERYWHERE USE THEM TO CURE INK, AND i USE THEM ON SMALL MACHINES.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-18x18-Flash-Dryer-Silkscreen-Tshirt-Printing-Curing-/370501393821?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56439a9d9d
linkxsc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So yeah i'll consider that. The moneys a bit out of my range atm for random spending though.
One thing I've been wondering though, the first couple machines my friends and I built, we used a vacuum pump that my friend got god knows where. Currently that pump is out of my usage, and I know that shop vacs are kinda limited being solo.
What I was wondering, shop vacs often have a blower port on them as well, could I... attach a shop vac to another shop vac, in a sad attempt at getting a greater pressure difference at the forming table? Daisy chain them together like one would batteries when they need a higher voltage.
kayaker43
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stacking two shop vacs like that will get you from about 4 in.hg. up to about 6, and each additional one adds very little. Still very low compared to other options but enough to demonstrate the process on thin styrene.

Also other plans books and videos for people who like to build things
linkxsc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok then, so how would one on a deep draw cylindrical part (can't escape doing it on end) minimize webbing that occurs on the walls of the cylinder. Ill post a picture of the couple failed pulls I've tried on this later. If it helps we're heating up the plastic up with a convection oven, so I think we might be on some trys not heating the plastic up enough (since radiation heating has the ^4 factor in the heat transfer) or maybe on other trys heating it up too much.

Since my higher ups are pretty adamant about using the convection ovens, well i guess I'm stuck with them till i can argue them over to a resistance heater, though they let me use the R heater for the in office demos.

Edit, picture added

The plastic used there is .02in of PETG Heated 25 mins, at a range of 280-300 degrees F
If you're wondering about the excessively large heating time, well if I try anything under about 15 minutes, the plastic isn't soft enough, but between 15 and 25 is when it starts to sag. It's not regular webbing though since I've already gotten the heating right so that on square and rectangular pieces the webbing goes away, but these round pieces, i can't do anything about it.

What can I do oh gurus of teh vacuum world?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: