www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Darktrooper Progress thread (Pic intensive!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Costumes & Equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still working on the fixes. IDK, I feel no matter how much I change, I find something else to work on. I think I just need to settle with it at some point. I've closed up the areators portion, fixed the "tubes" on the forward sides of the face (Where they line up with the point end of the frown) and almost done with the 2nd eye. The actual teeth portion, I could not get it to where I wanted (and cleanly) so I filled it up except for the center to use as a starting point. All in all, I am starting to realize just how much more work is necessary post molding. I just hope I can get it to where I want it...

I'm getting worried about the strength of the helmet now, mainly the outer edges. I'm going to be doing some more fiberglass reinforcement, tomorrow at the latest. I don't want the piece to warp when molding. It's not that bad but I don't want to chance it.

Oh yea, all this showed up..

-TC
Master

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, well the mixing and brushing phase is done. Gotta let it sit overnight and then make sure its fully cured before I can put the mother mold together, which I'm hoping to do tomorrow night, possibly even try making a cast! I'll post pics shortly...
Master

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There ya go, the world's ugliest helmet and the world's ugliest mold, in one...

-TC
Master

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok first half of the mother mold put on! At Fridays waiting for it to cure so we can do the other side! I'm not going to sleep without a casting tonight!

Master

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news and bad news. The actual rubber portion came out perfect. The bad news, the mother mold did not. Needless to say, demolding sucks. I intended to have a two part mother mold, but it soon turned into a 4 piece. Because of this, I cannot properly reassemble the mold. I mean, I can still make a casting, but there will be warping. Idk right now, I'll deal with it in the morning
Master

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, well this was an almost near failure due to the mother mold breaking apart. Lesson for next time is to make it thicker (already pretty thick though) but it developed weak spots and snapped at them. Needless to say I wasn't very happy, despite the actual mold itself coming out perfectly.

So today, I was just fumbling around trying to figure how to hold it all together...a water bucket. It works perfectly and everything sits as it should. The only problem area being the back inside of the fin, but with the casting today, we made the shell shock cure everywhere but the fin, sat the entire thing vertically and finished the fin (which it's now curing). So there we have it, not letting it go to waste or giving up over a screw up.

Anyways, I've been holding out with pics, so here are a few

Heres the mold unassembled. The craptacular mother mold pieces along with it

Here's the sculpt after the excruciating demolding process

Here is the whole thing sitting in the water bucket earlier after starting the casting. Hey, it works....

So now we are just waiting for the entire thing to cure. Ill be back after we pull out the first cast. Until then, beer.

-TC
Master

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here it is. It came out pretty decent but we severely underestimated just how thin the outer edges were, so we have to do some fiberglassing across the rim of the helmet. Some pieces broke off during the demold, but we CA glued them back together (not show in the pics though) but otherwise, for what it is, I'll settle. Needs ALOT of bondo work but like I said, needs to be fiberglassed before I can continue doing anything.

Really want to cut the eyes out to see how my vision will be...

Just to give you an idea of size, here's my buddy who's about 5'10"

-TC
Master

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, well I finally had the chance to sit down and take some quality pics. Surprised that it didn't just break the camera to be honest. Though, I don't think the gf would like if I broke her expensive Cannon....

Anyways, here are some better pics. Considering the entire process leading up to this POS cast was my first time, I guess it could have been a lot worse. As you can see, there was some warping in the back section, mainly the dome. I already foresee a large financial investment in bondo. So here is the ugly duckling....

Re-attached the broken pieces...

Only a face a mother could barely love..

Look at that sexy seam line...and those curves!

So yea. I have my work cut out for me....

-TC
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking nice so far.

Just remember; the most important part of the MOTHER MOLD/CAST, is that everything has to be PERFECT, and the THICKEST casting the BETTER, to include smooth out imperfections and be as clean as possible. This is the piece you want to save in case anything happens.

Just my 2 cents. Can't wait for the next update.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went through the same kind of thing with my Mando bucket and roto-cast machine. I finally got tired of dealing with it and decided I'll come back to it at a later time... its been almost 3yrs. now. Laughing
tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posting to update that a lot has happened since I last worked on this project. It has been on hold due to numerous setbacks, mostly financial. In the time since I last posted, I went through a break-up and a move immediately following C6. So, the project has been kind of shelved. I left Tallahassee, forced to put a majority of my prop stuff and all my tools in storage. I've got the helmet with me, but that's it.

I can post now, that I just recently got hired for a government contract type position and will be starting this week. This will be the start of my desired career and money will be much better then I ever had. In the next few weeks, I'll be traveling up to retrieve the rest of my property and get back to work on this..

A local member is currently building his own Vaccuformer which he's agreed to allow me to use in the near future.

I'll keep this updated as I move along

-TC
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like life is moving in a more positive direction for you. Looking forward to seeing updates on your project/s.
dn
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You better not be one of them there FEMA camp relocation goobermint-type workers! Wink
tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stomper wrote:
You better not be one of them there FEMA camp relocation goobermint-type workers! Wink

LOL Oh heck no...The job is pretty good...easy, relaxed and chill. I couldn't have asked for a better one to be honest! I really lucked out! This first month is rough since I won't get my first pay until the 25th! I'm scrounging for change until then lol
Master

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdougn wrote:
Sounds like life is moving in a more positive direction for you. Looking forward to seeing updates on your project/s.
dn

Thank you! I am looking forward to the end result as well!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Costumes & Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 23 of 24

Jump to: