www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Natural Evolution

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captmike
Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Natural Evolution Reply with quote

After building a reasonably successful 12 x 12 machine, I found (you all told me so) I needed a larger machine so I can develop molds for a project my son is working on. I am thinking the ability to form 24 x 24” styrene or ABS plastic in the .060 range will be sufficient. I like the looks of the “Exo Former” and can probably get the hinge thingy fabricated. Lastly, the single hole platen looks promising. I have been through most of the information on this forum, but some of the information seems dated and I will appreciate all the help and advise I can get on updates for building these machines.

Here is want I have to work with:
1 24 x 48” sheet .030 2024 t3 aluminum
1 24 x 48“ sheet .060 2024 t3 aluminum
1 24 x 48” sheet .125 2024 t3 aluminum
All the plumbing on my 12 x 12 machine to include various vacuums, vacuum pump and 5 gal air tank.
Necessary wood products and lots of ½” sheet Corian

I will need to acquire materials for the oven and metal for the sheet plastic holder & hinges.

I have a complete woodworking shop to include some metal working tools, various “pop” and aircraft structural rivets and pullers, nuts, bolts, screws, washers, a lathe, band saws, cutoff saws, grinders and such.

I will need help, in particular, with the construction and wiring of the oven and the plastic holder fabrication. I am also interested in a system where I can scale down if I wish to form 12 x 12” plastic for smaller objects. I am not adverse to purchasing plans or parts for all or part of this project, but would like to make sure of what I need before I start. Let the games begin!
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your planning is off to a good start! Also, good to see a parent looking for ways to spend time with their kid.

In the process of building my first vac former a few years ago I just researched around on this forum and re-engineered what I saw other people doing. The vac former was functional but building it without plans was a huge mistake that cost me a lot of time & money. There were just way too many details that needed to be precise.

I ended up getting the ProtoForm plans and was very pleased with the amount of detail and well thought out design. The biggest drawback to the ProtoForm plans is that you only get the plans for the oven when you purchase the oven components. There is a lot of good information on the modular oven design in some of the build threads for the ProtoForm. The Protoform can adapt to different sheet sizes and has a reasonably good sheet clamping system.

ProtoForm Build Thread Link

You might also look at the Belovac Vac formers for ideas on a modular plastic carrier.

hth, DougN
captmike
Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone here sell plans for a side by side type unit? 24 x 24 seems to be what will work best for me and I would really like to keep the oven powered by 110 volts. The oven information would be where I would need the most help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: