www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Vacforming surfboards / fins and leash-plugs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ULTIMATS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:04 am    Post subject: Vacforming surfboards / fins and leash-plugs. Reply with quote

Hi guys, Im not that into bodyarmour or weapons but I have noticed a few surfboard manufacturers experimenting with vacforming to replace the standard method of encapsulating a surfboards foam core with fibreglass and resin.
Since the 1950's surfboard makers have shaped a foam core for a surfboard and then labouriously coated that core with several layers of a woven mat called fibreglasss thats impregnated with a polyester resin. Each coating is slow to apply and requires sanding and polishing.
BUT !!! if that 'glass and resin system can be replaced with a vacforming system , then surfboard making will be cheaper / quicker / easier/ fun-er !!!
So where do I start ? I dont know what plastic to use, but it needs to be UV and scratch resistant.
ASA ??
ANd can I easliy build a heating and forming table to accommodate a 7 ft X 2 ft surfboard ??

Theres also a multitude of plastic surfing accessories like fins and legrope plugs that could be re-invented thru vacforming.

P.S. Thanks for letting me onto this forum.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool concept. I'm sure there is a process of shell making that would work well, the only issue I see is mold entrapment, unless you are planning a 2-part mold.

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
trapperdale
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi ULTIMATS

I am an old long board surfer...
Jacobs 12' many days in San Fransisco at the mavericks..

best method to attempt what you are proposing is
"Hot" roto-molding
kayaks and dive boards are made using this method.
and could be done for about the same price.

this starts with a large box heater gas,electric, etc...
your multi part mold will move back and forth
on two axis.

you could even encapsulate some balsa wood stringers
and fill the hollow with a foam core.

you would dump in a few gallons of plastic pellets into the mold.
then clamp up the mold and slip her into the heater
20-40 min. in the heater and 10-20 to cool
and your done..
very cool process! and may be what your looking for.
ULTIMATS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Thanks Jim !! Reply with quote

jegner wrote:
Cool concept. I'm sure there is a process of shell making that would work well, the only issue I see is mold entrapment, unless you are planning a 2-part mold.

Jim

Thanks for your replies guys!
Others around the world have already started using thermoforming to make surfboards and Im trying to work it out for myself... Hope this pic of someone elses setup shows....

What thickness of materials do you think theyre using and what materials could be used... Im thinking ASA and how do I go about solvent welding?
Surfboards are about 6 foot in length X 2 foot wide but Im thinking to make smaller bodyboards to work on my forming technique and materials before I go all out on the bigger boards...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: