www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Dog Log Retrieval and Bagging System

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Dog Log Retrieval and Bagging System Reply with quote

Started a limited production run of my "Dog Log Retrieval and Bagging System" aka DLRBS, for those hooked on acronyms..I've gone though about $1000 of plastic and parts to get to this point, and so many design molds and prototypes I don't want to think about. That doesn't include the design and cost of the vacuum formers... I feel if I fail, I might as well do it in as big way as I can, and this is big for me..
Just finished disassembling 4 dozen of what I thought were sellable units, after discovering cracks in the plastic on some... I was using .125 abs and found I needed to move up to .187, that extra 1/6" seems to be enough to stop the cracking...
I copyrighted half a dozen designs [like that'll help : ) ]

This is a pic of the last reject unit before I take it apart..

This was designed for people who can't bend over to pick those dog logs. Also there is no clean up of the unit....I forgot show a pic of the scoop/shovel with the corner cut from another shopping bag and held on with a twist tie... I figure a straight handled one will make storage easer in an RV, plus the no clean up advantage.

It's rather funny how this got started... I was out with my dog, naturally she took a shit. I slipped a plastic bag on my hand to pick it up, believe me, you want that warm feeling your dog can give you, in your heart, not your hand. Anyway, she started laughing and rolling on the ground, when she got control of herself, she told me how embarrassed she was to actually be with a human who would pickup warm dog shit with their hand.... I had to agree with her..
I've got a great dog, Rhodesian Ridgeback. The other day she accused me of cheating at poker. I told her "I can't help it if you wag your tail every time you get a good hand." All in all, she's given me some pretty good advice... I told her my ex-wife was being really good to me latley...She said " I remember her, she was mean enough to scare a pit bull off a meat wagon and any way, that's what usually happens before that last ride to the vet." Enough about my dog.

Last edited by Fredo on Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
IMMark
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great...good luck!
And very interesting read, my best to your dog.
Mark
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting concept for the pooper scooper. Of all the different "systems" I've seen yours looks the best. I especially like that it uses standard grocery bags.

Also, hilarious read about your dog. I was around a pair of Rhodesian Ridge Backs for a few years and they're great dogs. Good luck with the project and thanks for posting!
befu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your dog has wonderful insight!

Thinking about the cracking issues on your product, did you ever consider using a cast urethane part? I have used some of the TASK series urethanes from smooth-on and they are very tough.

Your product looks great, hope it takes off for you.

Brian
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, urethanes are fine, but production is slow. I'm rebuilding my 24"x24" oven, but even using my smaller 12"x12" I can pull 8-10 an hour.. I only sell 15-20 a week, usually on the weekends... ABS is the best choice for it.
The cracking on the flanges was a case of my under estimating the thinning caused by the stretch. Should have done a little more testing before deciding on what thickness to use..
Most people love my dog....Behind my back, I think she may be telling them that I'm a couple dog biscuits short of a full box...
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could just staple her backside up, and not have to be "second hand" anymore. Wink
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good one Tony.... I read your post to her. The truth be known, having no formal education, she never learned to read... She got a good, scratch your side laugh out of it... When she finished laughing all she said was, "Tell him ... FEAR... is not my dog either" Then she started giggling again.... go figure? ........Fredo
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, well when I'm driving (which is a LOT) Dog is my co-pilot.

BTW- Tell her not to order the schnitzel, they're using schnauser! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: