www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Stomper's AR-15 6.8 SPC Build (DONE!!)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Stomper's AR-15 6.8 SPC Build (DONE!!) Reply with quote

OK, I have a 6.8 rem (SPC) marked Essential Arms lower receiver from the batch of three that I bought a few months back with a matched flat top upper receiver. I have now accuired and installed a RRA lower parts kits in it, and a Magpul enhanced trigger guard. The next thing will be a telescoping butt-stock (will decide on which one over time, then after that I'll be looking for a barrel asembly. BTW- I'm also going to build an AR Pistol from one of these extra lowers with a 7-1/2" barrel, and it will NOT require a NFA SBR tax stamp as the lower has never had a butt-stock installed... woo hoo!

Photos will follow when the butt-stock is installed on the 6.8 lower. Wink

***Fixed a couple STUPID typos!!***

Last edited by Stomper on Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:47 pm; edited 3 times in total
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right Tony! Can't wait to see what transpires!

Some things to think about. Early in the gestation of the 6.8 SPC, development, Remington pushed the idea of the 115gr bullet traveling 3000 FPS or some such speed, and could not deliver it. Something to do with the 'then' pressures associated with that new bullet, and the barrel's 1 in 9.5 to 1 in 10 inch twist rate. Basically Remington stepped down the SAMMI ratings to 'play it safe'. The net result was a slower lighter bullet.

Well, as time went on, the barrel and AR makers got with other bullet makers figured out a way to make that 115gr bullet travel 3000 FPS or there abouts, and came up with the 6.8SPC II specs. A hotter load, and is now considered the standard. Much the same way that the hotter 5.56mm is the standard, but will shot the lower pressure .223 REM that the round is based on. You can shoot .223 rounds out of a 5.56mm marked barrel, but NOT 5.56mm through a .223 marked one.

Long story short, get a 6.8SPC II barrel. Most makers no longer sell the older spec barrels, but some do, [like Model 1 Sales] and they will have to be reamed a tad to be safe to shoot. Early on there was some confusion but it's pretty clear now, a twist rate of 1 in 11 or 1 in 12 is better, and the number of grooves is standard around 3, 4, or 5R.

Bison Armory has barrels in the more popular lengths, and in stainless steel. http://bisonarmory.com/ And by all accounts, appears to be a reputable dealer according to the folks over on www.ar15.com

I too am in the research phase of building an 6.8SPC. I'm attacking it differently, going for a barrel and bolt swap.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=121&t=449200 is a good read on this topic, and I thought it worth mentioning for anyone considering building up a 6.8SPC.

JIm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I heard about the 6.8 SPC-II being a huge improvement... thanks for that other info, I spent a couple hours going through all of it... LOL!!

I'm on an extremely tight household budget ATM, so I can't be frittering away the money on this stuff right now until things get flush again... but that just means I can spend more time researching this subject and make the best choices for components. Methinks Pres. Obama has hit his peak in the polls and is now about to enjoy a loooong road downwards in popularity and influence and land in "Carterville", so HOPEFULLY prices and availability will improve before toooooo long... I see and hear about things settling down a bit (but ONLY just a bit)! Wink
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tight budget, man I know what that means! LOL.

I agree, the politics are a big factor in the crazy AR market, and man, do I hope things go back to normal sometime soon. I'm still gonna play it safe and assume some sort of 'assault weapon's' ban is coming, just don't know when.

BTW, I do have an email in to the BisonArmory.com guys to see what their inventory is like... Waiting for a response.

JIm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an email back from BisonArmory.com. Folks seem nice, and what follows is from their email:

Quote:
Hi Jim,

yes, the new 18" barrels will include a properly head spaced barrel extension with extended M4 feed ramp cuts. They do not include the front sight base.

Thanks!

Ben Triplett
Bison Armory

So, a simple barrel swap on an M4 type upper with m4 feed cuts, add a front sight base, gas tube, and mid length hand guards/rail, swap the bolt for a 6.8 one, install a proper flash supressor and the rifle should be good to go.

Looks like to do this, I need to start adding up all the little charges:

Barrel: 18 inch stainless, $200 from BisonArmory.com available in September.
Bolt:$70
Phantom FH: $35
Front Sight Base:YHM-9394-H gas block with integral flip up font sight and bayonet lug from BisonArmory.com $65
Mid-length gas tube: $11
Mid-length handguard/rail: YHM lightweight 4-rail is around $100

Thats about: $481... Yikes! Well, I guess thats not all that bad. A little here, a little there, and over a few months, volia! 6.8

Last edited by jegner on Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW... this could be quite doable... (except I'd need a complete BCG) ..... hmmmm. Idea

Did he mention anything about their lead time in filling orders?
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I may try this but on a full A2 build up with a BisonArmory.com 20 inch barrel.

Logic:

I have the A2 upper already, rifle length hand guard, and stock, and even a pistol grip. It would be good to have A2 type front sights, but I think I can compensate with a gas block and front sight. It sure would save me some coin. Down side to going to 16 or 18 inch barrels, is, the gas system is rigged for mid-length hand guards/ rails, something I don't have lying around.

I can't seem to decide how I want to go on this.
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jim,

I'm going to replace the FSB on my M4-gery with a low profile gas-block and a flip up front sight eventually. You can have it when that hapens and if you still need it! Wink
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tony! Your the man! I'm still pinching pennies trying to hold off until I have a few more bucks to spend, and I think I'll just get a complete 6.8 upper and bolt. Unless I can track down a good cheap barrel.

I still can't decide.

EDIT: Just wanted to mention that I'm leaning towards this:

http://bisonarmory.com/upperstore.html Basically, an 18 inch mid length, with a lightweight rail front end, and a lo-pro gas block.

I'd still have to pony up some bucks for optics, but thats a whole other line of thinking....
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after 4-yrs. I finally got around to getting my 6.8SPC built up!! Life, mixed with a bit of apathy tends to drag things out a bit, yes? Rolling Eyes

It's built on the previously mentioned Essential Arms lower receiver.

I picked up a complete Stag Arms 6.8SPC upper with a Hogue rubber over molded free-float tube from a guy on the local gun forum here in the Pacific Northwest... I think I'm going to get an Essential Arms stripped upper receiver for a more precise fit/finish (contour wise) to the EA lower, then sell the upper receiver.

The butt stock is a Magpul MOE rifle. I wanted a fixed stock on this one, but wanted something a bit different from the "standard fare" in AR butt stocks.

The pistol grip is by CAA (and is my preferred grip) and has different finger groove and back-strap inserts that can be installed. IMHO, the grip angle is MUCH more comfortable than the standard AR-15 grip angle.

The scope is a Luepold AR Mk.I 1.5-4x20 with Luepold AR quick-detach forward mount.

I installed a "receiver height" gas-block and A2-style 45* offset Rapid Transition iron-Sights (RDS) which didn't exist 4yrs. ago (AFAIK). No need to fiddle with flip-up BUIS if in a hurry! Idea

The quick-detach (no-name) bi-pod is mounted to the bottom rail of the gas-block.

I zeroed the scope and irons to a laser bore-sight at 25m, and will live-fire tune it when I get a chance... hopefully before another 4yrs. passes! Shocked

Overall, (aside from Zombie-apocalypse duty) this will make a great hunting rifle for deer, hogs, and dogs! Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Weapons Locker All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: