www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
6.8 SPC: Should I or should I not get one?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. Yea, she's gonna be REAL happy with me. Eyeballing $400 for a 6.8 upgrade [might be more if I have to get the barrel supplier to install the FSB], and a KAC handrail. Oh, well, I'm saving money, right? LOL.

JIm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:

Well, for Christmas, the wife got me a 6.8 SPC Spec II upper from BisonArmory.com . Ben Triplet is a good guy to deal with, and can make just about any combination of uppers you might want.

Here is the run-down:
18 inch "Recon' barrel. Stainless 1/11 4 groove, IIRC.

The upper is a Yankee Hill M4 flat top, and has a 4 rail mid-length free float hand guard and a low profile gas block. Pretty slick.

I have a 6.8 SPC bolt, but no sights for it... yet.

I put together a 'multi-caliber lower' from Tactical Machining. It was a factory second, I think, as some of the holes were out of spec. But I did get it put together. I have yet to test it. I hope it works. I still need to get a stock, and I'm looking at a Magpul CTR stock at this point.

This was basically a cobbled together project after the wife surprised me. Scopes are something I really need to put my effort into.

At first I was looking at something in a 2.5x10 range. But honestly, I dunno. If I can ever get out of debt, I', gonna save my pennies and get some night vision gear. Shocked

As for some scope options I was looking some of these:

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=141

But good gravy, that thing is expensive. I do know this I want a cantilevered QD mount. Something that I can take off and put back on without loss of zero.

I also am looking at this:

http://www.amazon.com/Zeiss-Conquest-Riflescope-Z-Plex-Reticle/dp/B001H318QE

Although, I'd prefer a lower mag on the low end, and a higher magnification on the upper end. Price is better on the Zeiss.

Oh, and at some point:

http://tnvc.com/items/night_vision_scopes/d740g3pin.html Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cough, cough... sputter... DANG those are spendy!!!! Shocked

Looking forward to seeing your 6.8 come together, Jim!! Very Happy
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Tony!

Good to hear from you! Yes, my friend, your magazine gifts is what started this whole mess. LOL! Shocked Very Happy

I need to get some optics for it. Right now, the only spare glass I got is some crappy 3x9x40 Leepers scope. Total POS. The Weaver mounts are worth more than that thing.

Oh, as far as optics go, there are so many options, it's not even funny. My first thought was to get a medium power scope, knowing my longest shots would be 400m or less. But with all the hog activity here in Texas, I realized I needed something that only has slight magnification. Otherwise, it will end up stinking as a 'brush' gun. What to do? What to do!

Anyways, you are correct, and a master of understatements on that night vision stuff. A Generation III anything is over $3k. Period. End of story. Add some glass or some other doo hicky, and you are at $4k. Dang cool, but ouch! Expensive. I'd have to get an insurance policy on that thing! LOL.

TTYL

Jim
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minor update.

Well, I decided to go with this as my primary optic:

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=204

Not as expensive, and I knew I wanted a QD mount, so...

I've not taken out for a test shoot yet. I need ammo, and right now 6.8SPC stuff is kinda hard to find.

I'd like to thank Tony for getting me going on this. Seriously, without him giving me some really nice magazines, I would have delayed and procrastinated for ever.

I'll get some pics taken in a few days.

Jim
coffeehedake
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stomper wrote:
Well... all you have to do is do what wives (typically) do to their husbands when coming back from the shoe store.

OMG... It's soooooo true! Wow, I'm going to keep that in my bag of tricks... thanks guys. Laughing
Master

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jegner wrote:
I'll get some pics taken in a few days.

Jim

LOL... now that it's been a few YEARS, how about them photos? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Weapons Locker All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: