www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
New oven design
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spektr
Master

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug, they work great.... Infinite heat switches are cheep and easy, solid state power controllers are good to , but 30 bucks each
ANH trooper
Master

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I am thinking about trying something to regulate the heater without adding the dimmer switches. I think if I simply add two on/off switches to control the two segments, I should be able to get better results. I am not 100% on the wiring so here is what I have and what I propose to do. Let me know if you see any problems.

Mains wired into a switched socket and fed into a closed spur. I have two lives and one neutral. The live feeds go one to each end of the coiled wire terminals and the neutral goes to the middle terminal post. The heater is switched on at the socket and oven comes to life. This has worked flawlessly for many years.

So, in order to have control over the two segments I want to add two new switches. My idea is to leave the neutral as is but take the two live feeds to switches and back to the terminal posts so I can turn them on or off. Would this be okay?

I am not sure if it is okay to leave the neutral on by itself with no live but I think it is okay until one live it switched on to make a circuit.

Once I can control both segments I can play around with heating times for the dreaded PP. I can pick up the switches really cheap so I thought I would give this a try as I am not too sure how much better the infinite switches will be.

Thanks in advance!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
IMMark
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not familiar with UK and your wiring there, so I won't comment on that.
But just to make sure you know, infinite switches will turn on and off (on there on ) to regulate the temp you get. Not at all the same as you just installing a switch and turning a segment off?
They are very common and cheap ( at least here in the US).
Good luck
Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: