www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Plug / Outlet ends?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Plug / Outlet ends? Reply with quote

I'm just about to finish up my protoform build ( I'll make a new thread when up and running,) and I'm wondering what others have used as their plug/cord to plug into a wall outlet. I'm plugging into a 40A, 3 prong house/residential outlet.

I was going to use this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-6-ft-6-8-3-Extension-Cord-HD-626-634/100672775

Has anyone made their own cable from individual wires or etc???

Thanks,
Rob

I love the internet....helping the ignorant and uneducated like myself get a little less dumb, one post at a time....
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's almost exactly what I'm using for my own design overhead oven, pulling 22 amps at 220 volts.

The only thing I don't like is the limited 6' length.

The server guys where I work cleared out their old equipment racks, and I managed to snag a few 10 gauge extension cords that are 10 feet long. But they are wired up with 4 prong ends. I haven't been able to convince myself to buy the $70 NEMA 10-30P plug to change it over to a three prong end Shocked

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RobL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the 6' length is a slight problem, so I'll get a second one and splice/solder it together to extend it by at least another 3'.

I love the internet....helping the ignorant and uneducated like myself get a little less dumb, one post at a time....
backyard_cnc
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought but You might check out your local welding supplier. I intend on wiring my protoform to operate on same style connector as my welder for which I have a 25 ft hd extension cord.

Look forward to seeing some pics of your build. Just got my heater kit in the post for own 2x3 build.

Cheers
Gerald
RobL

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gerald, what gauge wire is your welding extension cord?

backyard_cnc
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is #8 and good for 40A continuous. Special STW (600V) jackets are designed to remain flexible and pliable under full load If you require more than 40A you could always have separate supply circuits for the different zones on your machine. My supplier had them is 20ft 25ft and 50ft lengths

Gerald
RobL

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, credit to my brother who helped me find this 8-3 cable at Menards, pretty flexible so it should store easy and it's rated for 40A. It's in the extension cable section, where they have supplies for plugging in your RV. They also have 6-3 for those who are building larger draw heaters. Also picked up the proper end/plug.

Thanks Charlie/Gerald, your ideas helped me flush out a solution that works better than I originally planned.

http://www.menards.com/main/electrical/electrical-cords-outlet-adapters/extension-cords/8-3-25-seoow-indoor-outdoor-cord/p-1462689.htm

jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see your build thread going and that you found the cord you needed. Around here, Lowes and the like have bulk extensions cord that can be bought by the foot in their electrical department. The three prong end you found also seems to work really well too.
DougN
RobL

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it vary by store? My local Home Depot did not carry 8-3 by the foot. They did carry 8-4 and 6-4 by the foot which is fine, I could of just not used 1 conductor/wire. It says they have to special order the 8-3, 6-3 but maybe it is available in Lowes or different HD's. These cables are listed under "Portable Power Cord 600V."

So, a couple options for the power supply cable are: welding cable or what I ended up using, "portable power cord/RV." Maybe there are differences in jacket material, but for my use...this RV style cable should work fine.

Thanks DougN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: