www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Adhesive for HIPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
farmertom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Adhesive for HIPS Reply with quote

Hi,
What adhesive bonds HIPS (polystyrene) to wood? All I can find is weld-on #45 and the gun for it cost $110. Can the 43 ml cartridge be use without the gun? Is the mixer tip re-usable or do I need to use a new one for each use?
Thanks for the info in advance.
Tom
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a great and simple to use website for sticking things together:

http://www.thistothat.com/

They recommend Household Goop for creating a bond between wood and plastic. It would be a good idea to scuff the surface of the plastic to allow more bite, and use clamps to ensure a tight bond.

I would figure Liquid Nails would work as well. That stuff sticks everything together!

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
farmertom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.
I have seen that website, but the dropdown does not list polystyrene, only plastic. They admit that there are many types of plastic. The website mentioned E6000 as a substitute for Goop. I have tried it and it has not adhered to the HIPS a well as I would have liked. I could peel the wood off of the plastic. Has anyone tried Weld-on #45? If it works well I would spring for the expensive applicator gun.
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey farmertom, welcome to the forum. Might also say that some of us don't get on too often, like me. Something you've probably already thought of is to try a selection of adhesive products from your local hardware store. There's a lot of two part epoxies and superglue type adhesives that might be worth a try. Or, perhaps you've already come up with something. If so we'd be interested in knowing what you found out.
DougN
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: