www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Another guy from Illinois!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot_Wheels wrote:
Do you know if I can use a dimmer or not?

Electrically, if the dimmer is rated to handle the load of the oven you can. For thicker plastics I've used a "percentage timer" or the same type of controls a range top has. They automatically come on, then go off as they get to temp.
dn
Hot_Wheels

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help Doug! So tonight we wired up the heater and laid it on the cement (just in case) we turned it on and with a laser temp probe for about 3-4 minutes we had 320-300 degrees! this was outside in the wind on the cold ground so it may have been hotter but to many variables. For wiring my since we needed a fuse and a switch my brother had the idea of cannibalizing a surge protector strip which has a switch and a 15 amp reset-able breaker. The only think that was strange inside the power strip was a circuit board, Do you have any idea what this board would be for? I was thinking about eliminating it from the circuit due to i don't think its needed but i'm really curious what its for. It does have 2 status leds coming off it to show power. I cant imagine that board would just be for the leds?

jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great first test of the oven! Looks like the power strip stuff is going to work out well for you. I have no idea on the circuit board. I wonder if it has something to do with the surge protection?
Hot_Wheels

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I removed that circuit board and mounted the heaters. I used a meter to make sure nothing was touching ground. I added a safety ground to the metal box (just in case!). Everything is wired just not permanently secured Due to I want to make sure I can heat a 18x18 area. If I can't do this I will have to reduce my planton and heater box. I'm hoping to have a test pull this weekend. Reminder to check and make sure homeowners insurance is paid up to date! (Just in case!)

jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty good. Keep in mind the wire will sag as it heats up so you'll want to keep a close eye on that. I hope the pull goes well for you this weekend!
dn
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you buy a GFI duplex outlet and replace the one you're using... The circuit board was proubly the GFI... Let us know if it was Smile
Hot_Wheels

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i chalk it up as a success! I think the plug needs a little more tweaking though because it seems to have a little bit of waiving on the inside. Im thinking of using Mod podge glaze, do you know if that will come off with the heat? or is there any other material you would suggest?

here is the last pull

this one got a little to hot but it was a nice deep vacuum, you can see it boiled again and bubbled!

close up of bubbles, over heating?
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that's looks like a decent enough first pull. Did you get the depth and definition that you wanted? I don't know much at all about the characteristics of the different clear plastics. Seem to recall that some absorb moisture real quick though so that could be the problem.

Anytime a new material is used, like the hodge podge glue, I would suggest testing it first. I've tried stuff before that other people thought would work fine only to find that it melted and locked the hot plastic to the mold and nearly destroyed the entire thing.
Hot_Wheels

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought some modge podge acrylic spray the lady at michaels suggested but I wonder if it will come off on the plastic? I might try another fine layer of bondo to see if I can get the plug smoother. The depth was close.
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot_Wheels wrote:
I bought some modge podge acrylic spray the lady at michaels suggested but I wonder if it will come off on the plastic? I might try another fine layer of bondo to see if I can get the plug smoother. The depth was close.

A lot of stuff like that will melt under the heat then bond to the plastic when everything cools off enough. Try it on a scrap first or something.
Hot_Wheels

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still working on perfecting this. After some research it seems my issue is moisture. I'm working on a new mold but it's been a slow expensive process!
Hot_Wheels

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Doug should I try forming with the protective plastic layer on to see if that helps keep the moisture away?
Hot_Wheels

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i have made some recent changes. I made a deeper heater box. I'm working on adding a electronic temperature controller to help maintain a proper temperature as well as made some better molds. I am just waiting on some high temp wire for the elements and pick up some more plastic for testing.

backyard_cnc
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice vacuum gauge I wonder where you sourced it?

Gerald
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: