www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
1/8 polycarbonate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glenn201

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject: 1/8 polycarbonate Reply with quote

I got my vacuum former done what need to know is how hot do i need to get 1/8 polycarbonate to form it HELP please
backyard_cnc
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well generally from what I have read you are looking at about 360 degrees F but many factors related to the design of your machine will come into play. Most people seem to experiment and develop a feel for the amount of sag in the heated plastic sheet and when it seems soft enough then its time to mold. For any given machine and with every different mold you are likely to require experimenting for best results. Take careful notes on heating time, ambient room time and if you pick up an inexpensive laser thermometer you can plot the temperature of the surface of the plastic sheet in various areas such as the center and the corners. After a few pulls you should develop a feel for it!

Please bear in mind that this is all info I have gleaned from the internet and youtube. I am still building my machine and as yet I have not formed anything except a lot of bright ideas!

let us know how you make out!

gerald
spektr
Master

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy.... Sorry I don't drop in too often lately.
You might find that 1/8th polycarb is "sporty" to form.
the heat rejection characteristics of PC sheet means that
you will really have to hustle the process to make it work in the time
window you have. It locks up quickly and the forming window is around 6 to 8 seconds. Also top mount ovens get poor heat distribution compared to double sided ovens. Getting as decent heat pattern on the part will require you to mask the middle of the sheet and concentrate heat on the perimeter of the sheet. Here's a universal truth, ANYONE can heat the center of a sheet, the trick is getting the edges to do what you want. Another barrier to good forming is a large platen area with insufficient vac volume to move the air needed to pin the part to the tool. You need to be fast to do polycarb. Fast means large diameter lines and minimum swept volumes.

Unless you need the impact toughness of Polycarb, you mifghth want to look at PETG......
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Spektr for the input. I don't have experience with PolyCarb.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
glenn201

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i ended up shading the middle got the heat to the edge better its working thanks for the help
spektr
Master

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no prob, send me pictures
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: