www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Hey from NYC!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darth Voorhees
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:34 pm    Post subject: Hey from NYC! Reply with quote

Hey everyone! Im Lou, aka darth voorhees on most forums im on. some of you may know me, i see a few familiar names here. Im a 3yr member of the 501st and have been making costume parts /props for about 2 yrs now. My work is in fiberglass or resin mostly. Ive been thinkiing about building a basic shop vac set uptable. Id like a 24X24 working surface. I have a 6.5hp shopvac i can use. Going to use overtime pay to get this going. i will start a thread once i get going.

The 2 main questions i have are:
1- will the 6.5 vac be strong enough to pull HIPS on the 24X24 table? Using whatever standard gauge mostly used to make armor.
2-is there a way can build the heating side without needing a 220 line installed, since i dont own my house.

I have a few others but lets start there.
Thanks for any and all help..looking forward to learning how to build a nice basic set-up!
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Lou! Sounds like you've got some project ideas in the works already. Do you have a 220v clothes dryer or oven? You may be able to run an extension cord to get 220v.
DougN
spektr
Master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see ya here
Darth Voorhees
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

I have an A/C line in the room. Dunno if that will be enough.

I actually decided to go full out with a pump and tank, and scrap the shopvac idea. Also going to build the oven with the nichrome wire. Ill prb make tthe platen 22X22 so i can use 24X24 plastic.

I may make a smaller table tho for little stuff... Like a 15X20 and use the home oven and shopvac for that.

Im sure ikll be on here plenty asking questions..id like to have this up and running by mid summer or so.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the board!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Darth Voorhees
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jegner wrote:
Welcome to the board!

thank you sir! Smile
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Lou, it's good to see you here!

Don't cook plastic in your kitchen oven unless you are not planning on cooking food in there ever again. The plastic will release toxins that will settle on the oven surfaces, then when heated, they'll end up in your food - yuck!

If you have an outlet for your oven/stove, you could plug your nichrome oven into there. You'll need to base your power calculations on 240 volts, find a plug that will fit the power outlet, and use 10 gauge wire. Some kitchen ovens are hard wired, so that might not be an option for you.

My oven runs on a 120 volt 20 amp circuit, and except for the Hardibacker board cracking, it has run fine.

My vac table started with a shop vac, then after selling some parts, I upgraded to a Gast 1065 pump. They will very rarely show up on eBay, but do a saved search, and you'll be notified when one is listed. I wouldn't bother with the one on there right now for $795 - the seller has not included any information or pictures - bah!

For the surge tank, I posted on Freecycle that I was looking for an old water heater that didn't leak, and that is where I got ole rusty.

Good luck in your quest to melt plastic!

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Darth Voorhees
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just re-saying hello!

I had put the whole vac -table on the back burner because i couldnt come up with a heating source i could use in my apt without blowing circuits or it taking way to long to heat the plastic.

BUT i found a way! Patio heaters! Ive seen a few people do this with very good results. I have 2 and plug them into 2 direct lines in my apt (air conditioner lines). They heat up without blowing any circuits. Basically building a fiol lined box around it to heat the plastic. Ive seen a few people do this and they all had good success with this method, so for now, thats what im going to use.

I scrapped the shop-vac idea and decided to get a pump right away.

So i just got this pump off of e-bay after referring to a freind of mine if it will do the job correctly:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CPS-Pro-Set-Dual-Voltage-11cfm-Vacuum-Pump-/110999556072?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=zE1RhRNX4SLn6X%252BDVMVhqzJPmp8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Now i need to figure out how i have to hook it up and all that. I have the basic jist of how it works, but may need a hand in explaining things.

Also have feelers out for a tank.

anyway, hope you guys can help me out, because this time, its gonna happen! lol Cool
IMMark
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a nice pump, 11 cfm should take care of business for you!
Best of luck on the build.
Mark
Darth Voorhees
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here i am......again lol It never seems to work out for me, but i am determined lol

I decided i couldnt do the vac table in my apt back in 2013 and sold off the pump a while back.

But since then i have moved to a house on Long Island NY

I am currently doing my prop stuff in a small corner in the garage. it is mostly fiberglass and resin casting and painting Boba Fett stuff.

I have plans to build a smallish 10X14 shop in the yard with the proper electrical lines, ventilation, a/c, heat and humidity control.

But i have been thinking about vac forming again, and actually have purchased the protoform plans.

I currently have a gofundme up to help fund the shop and table because right now my only income is the prop stuff im currently doing and i cant seem to make enough to get either the proper shop or the table built after all my bills and rent is paid. I absolutely HATE asking for money but it was th only way i could see me getting this done and being abe to continue doing what i love for a living.

Anywho, i figured id start asking questions now so once im ready to actully build the thing i have some sort of clue.

1 is a 30 gallon tank like this one a good choice if using a 10cfm pump on a 24X48 size table?
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/pneumatics/air-compressors-tools/compressors-tools/ar8021-air-receivers-surge-tanks-30gal-175psi?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=CKvE97XjsM8CFQpZhgodY5oK6A

i was also looking into this pump, or maybe something similar:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mastercool-90070-2V-110-10-CFM-2-Stage-Rotary-Vane-Deep-Vacuum-Pump-New-/281554519215?hash=item418df504af:g:rM4AAOSw~uhUrDiT

Id be pulling mostly ABS. .080 i think is the most common for making costume armor thats not to flimsy.
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lou,

The pump looks very similar to the ones recommended by other folks in the past. The power requirements look good - 110 volts AC, so no need to setup a special 220 volt circuit Smile

I don't know about the tank. It's difficult to find any details using a Google search. I would think that since the tank is rated for 175psi, then it should be able to hold a vacuum. It looks to be made of steel, so I wouldn't expect it to collapse under vacuum. You'll want to confirm it has an epoxy inner lining as well.

McMaster-Carr used to have tanks that would hold both pressure and vacuum, but they were super expensive - $600 plus freight charges!

My old rusty water heater is still holding up Smile

Good luck with your venture!

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: