Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Sheet plastic Vendors
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IMMark
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are in a very "small town" area, check the internet/yellow pages, for plastic sheet supplier, I think it is the most available type of plastic there is, at least that has been my experience here, central Ohio!
Best of luck
Mark
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another site in so. ca. http://www.eplastics.com/ I bought abs from them sometime ago, couple years, no problem, ships ups...........Fredo
Loonie.Tunie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Easy to find HIS and PETG Reply with quote

I have doing vacuum forming for a while now. When I started, I found this post and tried Professional Plastic. They were pretty difficult to deal with. the staff was clueless about forming.
I found Industrial Plastic and they were happy to cut to my frame size. they stock both HIS and PETG - in pretty thin sheets up to like 1/4" or so. You can call them for help or order online - which I do now.
I think the number I use is 866-832-9315
Hope this helps.
Darth Voorhees
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but its really the best place to post this ... My machine isnt done yet, but i i thought it a good idea to start trying to find suppliers for plastic now.

Looking for ABS. It will be mostly for costume armor. id like to use .080, possibly .090 for most stuff. Some stuff has no fine detail and the .090 is perfect for that to get the durability id like. I'd also need a place to cut to 24X48 sheets. Looking to use ABS, preferably smooth on both sides. From what i understand this has to be custom extruded? Im on Long Island NY. So far i havent been able to find anything in the thicknesses im looking for. I havent contacted any of the places i found directly yet to find out about the smooth on both sides thing. But if anyone has any good leads, like companies easy to work, and that understand thermo-forming that would be very helpful. thanks in advance!
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smooth on both sides ABS is going to be difficult o find off the shelf. Professional Plastics may be able to help you. Be prepared to pay for it though.
Just some suggestions, if you have not vacuum formed before, you should try first with some HIPS. ABS can be more difficult to form, and as expensive as that is going to be, learn on the cheaper HIPS until you get your process down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Darth Voorhees
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks man, yea i can get HIPS local so im not worried about that. I figured id practice a bit with HIPS then haircell ABS as i can get that easily enougha as well. But i want to be prepared for the "good stuff" lol Yea i was told smooth on both sides is usually custom extruded, and there for a litte more pricey,which is fine. Im more scratching my head bout getting .080, as it seems none carries this thickness either. Once the holidays are over im going to start some serious research and see what i can find. thanks for the reply!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Suppliers All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: