www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Tip of the Week: 26-JUNE-06

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Tip of the Month
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Tip of the Week: 26-JUNE-06 Reply with quote

A new resin, and some new challenges.

I've started playing around with the www.Smooth-On.com 's Smooth-Cast 325 ColorMatch resin. Same great watery consistency resin, but with this stuff, you can dye it any color you can imagine. I've been making some test casts of some old AK47 pistol grips, and have to say, this stuff it tough!

Rumor has it, the FBI uses this stuff to make training guns.

Also, you can use this stuff as a shell coating, then fill the remainder with some 15X expaning foam resin, to make a poorman's 'hyper-firm' resin parts for larger pieces. I'm still experimenting with that.

Last edited by jegner on Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXCELLENT!!! I'm wanting to make a "hyper-firm" version of my E-11's and I'm wanting to make a mold of my Mk-2 variant so I can cast that sucker in that Smooth-Cast 325!

What are your thoughts on the "oomoo" silicone stuff? It's measured by volume and cost about $138 for a gallon of A & B stuff.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, don't waste your funds on that oomoo. It never really sets! All sorts of bad reviews, on the different prop boards.

Most of the Smooth-on stuff is great, but that stuff, has a bad rap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do you suggest the stuff you currently use and mentioned on the other sections of your boards? (I forget the name and place ATM)
AlterEgos
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tony, don't waste your funds on that oomoo.

Really? I use Oomoo 30 all the time and I've never had a problem with it. I guess it depends on what you're doing with it, since it is rather floppy, but that's nothing a jacket wouldn't fix.

Just my 2 cents Confused
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to get some feedback on the Oomoo. I got the trial size, and was hoping to convert from the expensive Polytec Plasil 71-20 that I have been using. I was not happy with the resulting blob.

Tony, if AlterEgos is having good results with it, then it must not be all that bad. Wink Me personal experience, is, well, I liked the 71-20 better.

Jim
AlterEgos
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm always looking for ways to make my life easier and 1 to 1 mixing for bubble free silicone is a god-send! Wink

Perhaps what most people don't like about the Ooomoo products is the texture. It has sort of a weird soft/velvety feel to it after it cures, but I've never had the stuff fail to cure on me. Maybe I'm just lucky?

At any rate, I think Smooth-On has some of the best products for the best prices on the market and I'll faithfully endorse every product I've ever used by them.
Plasticman
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know what the 'hyper-firm' resin is?
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well one of the Sci-Fire guys claims that its not an "off-the-shelf" material, and thats ALL they'll say about it.

When I was in the Army we used rubber M-16's for bayonette training, because it would have beat the real ones to pieces to treat them like that everyday, all day.

I suspect that one can indeed get that same material, its just a matter of finding the right supplier! Very Happy
Plasticman
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I was thinking.....I have a buddy who has one of those M-16A1's...... I think its the same stuff.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony is right, the material we know and love called 'hyper-firm' is, in my opinion, a combination of Smooth-on SmoothCast 325 and a 15x Expanding foam resin. The SmoothCast 325 is first poured into the mold, and sloshed around. Once this sets if forms a shell coat. The cavity is then filled with the 15x expanding foam resin. The result is a very lightweight, rigid but flexible casting. More work than a straight cast, and on small or thin parts the 15x expanding foam resin is not needed.

I have heard the FBI uses the SmoothCast 325 for making dummy training guns.

There might be another product used and the street name is Hyperfirm, but I don't know for sure. The Lewis Gun I studied from Tony was, in my opinion, made by the above mentioned process.
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I just bought the gallon sized Smooth-Cast 325 and a bottle of "So-Strong Black Tint"... a smidge over $100 with shipping!! Shocked

I just spent MOST of the weekend cleaning up my shop as it literally looked like a "pig-bomb" blew up in there, I mean when you have to tip-toe around and OVER crap just to go from one work bench to the other, I mean REALLY... Laughing but anyway I'm fixing to make the backer boxes from 1/8" black styrene, and take the clay I have and make a two part mold for my M38A2 scope I just accuired on Ebay. I'm so excited to try something new... one step towards making a "hyper-firm" version of my E-11's!!! I'm contemplating fabricating a roto-cast machine as well, WOOT!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Tip of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: