www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Oven Calculator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dman
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Oven Calculator Reply with quote

OK I am trying to figure out this oven calculator and I have a couple of questions. I want to wire the thing in 220v instead of 110v. Anyway since my oven is 24x48 do I still want to go with the 2400 watts? I have read every post here that I can find and one of them says that approx 2.3w per square inch. If that is so, it looks like I need to shoot for approximately 3200 watts. Does that sound correct?

Also If I read right, I need to only connect the 2 hot wires to either end of the nichrome wire. say in a 2 segment oven, I connect one hot to A, and connect the other to C and then connect the other ends of A and C to B. If that is the case, why have a B at all? The more I read, the more confused I get.
Shocked
dman
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah so grasshopper, I think I finally figured the calculator out. I didn't realize that one needs to put their information in the far left hand column.... Smile
drcrash
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Oven Calculator Reply with quote

dman wrote:
OK I am trying to figure out this oven calculator and I have a couple of questions. I want to wire the thing in 220v instead of 110v. Anyway since my oven is 24x48 do I still want to go with the 2400 watts? I have read every post here that I can find and one of them says that approx 2.3w per square inch. If that is so, it looks like I need to shoot for approximately 3200 watts. Does that sound correct?

It seems to me you should need about 2x the watts compared to a 24 x 24 oven, which IIRC is 2400 watts. So you'd need about 4800 watts.

24 x 24 inches is 576 square inches, and 2400 / 576 would be 4.166... watts per square inch, not 2.3.

I might be wrong here in remembering the wattage, or in my arithmetic. (I suck at arithmetic.)
dman
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would make sense on the top of my head, I just wonder if the wattage needs to be doubled just because the size is doubled. There's something in the back of my mind that tells me it doesn't. But I'm not good with this kind of stuff....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: