www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Quick suggestion For holding Frame
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Quick suggestion For holding Frame Reply with quote

I am getting ready to build my simple vacu-form machine this weekend, and I have evrything planned out, but I want to make a holding frame on a hinge, both for accuratly setting the heated plastic onto the molds as well as storage purposes. I was wondering if it would be safe to make the frame out of either wood or MDF. I would make an aluminum frame, but I do not have access to welding equipment nor even know how to weld. Thanks for your guy's advice!

-tubachris
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wooden frame will work. Remember though, wood doesn't conduct heat as well as aluminum.

If you can't weld, don't worry. You can use machine screws, pop rivets, or aluminum brazing. Aluminum can be brazed with MAPP gas, and brazing rod from the local hardware store. MAPP looks like a propane canister, but it's yellow.
jzawacki
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.. I am also planning on using a wood frame. Why would it's ability to transfer heat matter? I have all the tools for welding (not aluminum, but steal) and do major car modifications, but planned to use wood because I'm lazy and it's just easier to put a few screws in angle brackets then to weld up a frame.
clonesix
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: holding frame Reply with quote

A wooden frame will work fine, and you should have no problems using one.

Metal vs wood? With a wooden frame, the edges don't heat as much as with a metal frame. A steel frame can use 3/4" sq tube steel. and you'll have 22.5"X 22.5" forming area for a 24"X24" sheet. If you use 1Xs for your frame, then you'll have 21"X21" of usable plastic.
jzawacki
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so wood is ok.. Also, for the available size.. I actually planned on making my table bigger than 24x24 to make up for the width of the frame. I planned on doing the strip of JB Weld + Sand (or 3M grip tape if I get lazy at that point) around the inside of each frame and only loosing about 1" around so that I would have 23x23 available. Is only 1" for the "grip" going to be OK?

I plan on "designing" mine after the doording.com guys. I've watched his video a dozen + times.. and I think his pulls look nice for the "quality" of the table (meaning, using grill element without shield, etc) compared to some of these "professional" type tables I see in most of the pictures. Each time I seem to pick up more details.. I'm sure I will learn quick when I actually start building the system.. I haven't even put the cart together yet.
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An important detail I found with my metal plastic clamping frames is they act as a heat sink, which results in the plastic taking longer to heat at the edges, although the center is ready to form. To overcome this, I place the holding frames on top of the oven while pre-heating. Then the frames are toasty warm when I mount the plastic.

Wood doesn't conduct heat as well as metal, so there should not be as much trouble with cold edges. Plus, you wouldn't need to pre-heat the frame.

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So then wood would work better then a metal frame becuase it wouldnt absorb all the heat from the plastic? hmmm..I guess then I should make it out of that then, maybe MDF, or something of the sort. Thanks guys!

-tubachris
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My frames are wood, and I use my oven for now.

I'm using a bolt through holes drilled into the plastic to hold it all together, because that's what the guy I learned from did.

I'm thinking of building a new frame with grip tape, or even drywall screws through the wood, with just the tips poking into the the plastic to hold it instead. It takes a while to put plastic in and out of the frame, and I'd like to make it easier.
badger
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jzawacki wrote:
I plan on "designing" mine after the doording.com guys. I've watched his video a dozen + times..

Link to video?
jzawacki
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.. so now I'm even more confused? Clonesix says they don't heat up as good with wood as with metal, crashmann says just the opposite?

Anyway, I found the video HERE while searching the forums.. The link doesn't work, but if you go HERE he has what I would guess it an updated video, as it sounded like he was using a standard oven prior to making this video.

Anyway, I guess I won't really know what I need till I try. I see these "professional" style forming machines, and then I see someone pulling it out of a normal home oven, slapping it down on top of pegboard, and their pulls look just as good (in my opinion, or from what I can tell) as the nicer machines. Now, is it that the people doing it the "ghetto" way have done it so much that they make it look that easy? Or, is it really that easy? I mean, it is just a sheet of plastic being sucked down over a chunck of wood, right?
badger
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link to the video. That's a pretty interesting rig he's got there. Very minimal.

As for your question about oven/scratch built rigs vs pro rigs I consider it to be a matter of how much you want to invest, and how hard and detailed a pull you want.

I can get decent results with my oven and a single hole board with weather stripping and a wooden frame. Cheap, and built mostly out of hardware store fittings, duct tape, and scrap wood.

But I don't pull all that much or that often, usually only when I need something for a costume. Also, I don't get perfect results every time. I probably screw one up every 3-5 or so, usually the first one for some reason. I bet with a better rig I could pull nearly perfect pulls on a consistent basis. But I figure plastic is cheap, and i can just pull another one.

badger
drcrash
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jzawacki wrote:
Ok.. so now I'm even more confused? Clonesix says they don't heat up as good with wood as with metal, crashmann says just the opposite?

Ideally, the frames would be hot, and help heat the plastic, so that the plastic right there at the edge heated up at just the same rate as the rest of the plastic.

In practice, heavy-duty steel frames tend to act as heat sinks, and actively cool the plastic near the edges, unless you preheat them (which is tedious and hard to get exactly right) or they have thermostatically controlled heaters built into them. (Which is expensive.)

Industrial machines typically either have heaters in them, or the thermoforming cycle is so quick that the frames don't cool down a lot between times in the oven. (They're in the oven most of the time, and the pull doesn't take long at all.)

If you're not going to be good about heating your heavy-duty steel frames, you may be better off with lighter duty aluminum, which heats up faster while it's in the oven, or with wood, which acts as an insulator.

So far as I know, nobody's done controlled experiments to figure out what the best thing to do is under what circumstances.

But if you're just doing thin plastic, and your thermoforming cycle won't be very short, I'd suggest not making heavy-duty hinged clamp-together frames, where you rely on the hinge and the rigidity of the side bars of both frames to make the clamping work all over.

Lighter duty frames work fine for thin plastic, if you have enough clamps holding them together. A little flex isn't bad as long as both frames are rigid enough to spread a lot of the clamping force halfway to the next clamp. (The closer together you put your clamps, the more flexible your frames can be.) The frames only need to be rigid enough to pull the plastic down over the mold and make a seal with the platen edge or gasket.

You also don't need both frames to be rigid enough to do that. One frame can be medium-duty, for that, and the other can be light duty, just rigid enough to spread the clamping forces a bit.

The big advantage of the two-very-rigid-frames-hinged-together system is in a fast cycle time situation, because it's easy to pop some plastic in, clamp it down with a very few clamps, and get cooking. Then when you're done forming, it's easy to undo the very few clamps and pop the plastic out.

The fast cycle time also helps keep those big massive frames hot, by keeping them in the oven a lot.

But if you don't have a fast cycle time, you may be better off taking a little more time clamping and unclamping more clamps on lighter-duty frames.

The frames don't need to be welded, by the way.

A good thing might be a combination of one fairly rigid medium-duty frame made out of aluminum C channel cut and bent a la Doug Walsh, and a lighter-duty frame made out of aluminum windowscreen stuff. (Which is cheaper.) The nice thing about that combination is that the bottom frame, made of C channel, has fairly rigid bars, and the aluminum windowscreen frame stuff has fairly rigid corners. Those complement each other---both frames don't need to have rigid corners, or rigid bars, as long as one of them does.

BTW, that's what I'm planning for my 2 x 2 oven. For situations where I need more rigidity, to form thick plastic, I can replace the rather flimsy windowscreen-type type frame with another more rigid frame.

Paul

Tired of buying cheap plastic crap? Now you can make your own! www.VacuumFormerPlans.com
dman
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

badger wrote:
jzawacki wrote:
I plan on "designing" mine after the doording.com guys. I've watched his video a dozen + times..

Link to video?

Hello I'm the doording.com guy and I apologize for not being around much lately. Been really busy with the real job. I guess I took the first video off, but HERE is the first oven that I built. I have since built a 24x48 flip top that I mainly use now. I will post pics when I can sit down and take the time.
tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at the vacu-form machine on the main site, and I was wondering about the frame set up. I previously thought that both sides of the frame would be hinged at the appropriate distance from the platen. I noticed that the bottom frame appears to be stationary as opposed to being able to move with the upper half that would go over the oven. Is this correct? I wanted to verify this before I go ahead and finish the frame for my platen. Thanks.

-tubachris
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another question. With using wood frames, is there worry that the heating/cooling of the wood could warp it and cause it to not hold the plastic sheets well?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: