www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
anyone ever used haircell ABS for pulls?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Plasticman
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: anyone ever used haircell ABS for pulls? Reply with quote

anyone ever used haircell ABS for pulls? If it does work, which side gives the best results? If you use the haircell side is it glossy on the other side as well? Does heating it and streching it get rid of the haircell lines completely?
drcrash
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone ever used haircell ABS for pulls? Reply with quote

Plasticman wrote:
anyone ever used haircell ABS for pulls?

I haven't, but I know people who have.

If the haircell side is against the mold, you'll get a muted version of the haircell texture on the other side. (At least for thin plastic like .062") The (previously-) smooth side won't be smooth anymore---it'll be a smoothed version of haircell.

(If you suck it into a cavity mold, with the smooth side toward the mold, it should stay smooth.)

Tired of buying cheap plastic crap? Now you can make your own! www.VacuumFormerPlans.com
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried the one side smooth/ one side haircell , .093 white ABS. Poor results, and soft detail, and everything had a texture even though the haircell was on the inside.

two sides smooth ABS is a custom order from most plastic suppliers.

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
harley guy
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone ever used haircell ABS for pulls? Reply with quote

Plasticman wrote:
anyone ever used haircell ABS for pulls? If it does work, which side gives the best results? If you use the haircell side is it glossy on the other side as well? Does heating it and streching it get rid of the haircell lines completely?

i have pulled about 250-300 sheets of abs. it pulls great if you have a good vac pump and tank. i pull with the haircell out. it doesnt take none of the texture out of the sheets
Plasticman
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are you saying that the haircell stays on your pulls. Thats a bad thing for me. Sad
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harley Guy, uses a hi-vac rig, and to get decent pulls with ABS, you really need a HI-VAC rig. You can pull ABS with a shop-vac, but the details are much softer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ANH trooper
Master

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: anyone ever used haircell ABS for pulls? Reply with quote

Plasticman wrote:
anyone ever used haircell ABS for pulls

LFL uses it for their suit's Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
sethb6025
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz I'm going to go add some haircell detail to my sandtrooper. Rolling Eyes Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the smooth-smooth surfaces, but finding it in ABS has proven to be problematic. Anyone know where to get ABS in .080 or .093 white that is smooth on both sides?

Jim
sethb6025
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Charlie orders his via GE Polymershapes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

The guy at my local Professional Plastics said he can get gloss white smooth-smooth ABS, it just has to be ordered in, give your local branch a try!

Seth.... LOL!!!

Last edited by Stomper on Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total
badger
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sethb6025 wrote:
I think Charlie orders his via GE Polymershapes.

That's where I've gotten my stuff.
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, GE Polymershapes has smooth / smooth ABS

You might be able to find a supplier near you, since they have offices spread out everywhere:
http://www.gepolymershapes.com/polyshapes/PShapes/branchlocator/branchus.jsp

Or, you can call my contact in Elkridge, Maryland. When I place an order, he searches their system and finds the smooth / smooth ABS in various warehouses. They will cut the 4' x 8' sheets down to size for you, and ship via FedEx. I placed a really big order once, and a tractor trailer made the delivery, but for 48 pieces, it's usually two boxes via FedEx.

Andrew Wangman
andrew.wangman@ge.com
301-604-3623

Be sure to really emphasize the smooth / smooth requirement. I've got LOTS of extra haircell ABS because they kept sending the wrong stuff (they didn't want it back, since it was cut to a custom size, and I didn't have to pay for it since it was not what I ordered! Shocked )

Tell him Charlie the Star Wars nerd sent ya!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL... I remember the photos you posted of that delivery!! Laughing
drcrash
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crashmann wrote:
I've got LOTS of extra haircell ABS because they kept sending the wrong stuff (they didn't want it back, since it was cut to a custom size, and I didn't have to pay for it since it was not what I ordered! Shocked )

Would you be interested in parting with some of that haircell ABS cheap? I'd like to experiment with ABS.

Tired of buying cheap plastic crap? Now you can make your own! www.VacuumFormerPlans.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: