www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Bast (cat-headed Egyptian goddess) mask in craft foam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drcrash
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Bast (cat-headed Egyptian goddess) mask in craft foam Reply with quote

Here's a quick mask I made from craft foam the other afternoon, for a costume party that night. Kind of a rough rush job, but I thought it came out pretty neat...

First I sculpted catlike features onto a plaster life cast of my wife's face:

Then I formed 3mm black craft foam over it, and cut it out with very sharp little detail scissors:

Then I had Mykel put it on, and put an off-the-shelf Egyptian headdress on. (That's all that held it in place.)

If you look closely, you can see that the best part, around the eyes, is where the foam didn't actually suck down very well, and left a smooth, organic compound curved surface. Cool.

If I do anything more with it, I'll recast it and smooth and sharpen the cast, then vacuum form new foam over that.

I'm pretty sure the reason that it didn't suck down very well was that the modeling clay made a seal with the foam around the eye sockets. (I didn't put any vent holes in.) With a plaster recast, that probably wouldn't be a problem, but I could always drill holes if it is. I'd want to recast from the poorly-sucked-down version, though, because I want the smoothing there---no point in trying to sculpt such a nice surface by hand.

Tired of buying cheap plastic crap? Now you can make your own! www.VacuumFormerPlans.com
AlterEgos
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down right nifty there Paul!!! I love it when happy accidents happen, although they don't seem to happen enough in my case. Laughing

I was looking into doing some armor parts in craftfoam, since it vacuforms very well and is fairly durable, but I just can't find 24"x24" sheets or larger rolls of it anywhere.

Anyway, excellent work and I'd love to see more! Cool
drcrash
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlterEgos wrote:

I was looking into doing some armor parts in craftfoam, since it vacuforms very well and is fairly durable, but I just can't find 24"x24" sheets or larger rolls of it anywhere.

Have you checked this place out?

http://www.foamorder.com/closedcell.html

They sell 40" x 80" sheets of EVA. 1/8" thick is $23.25 and 1/4" is $24.75, with discounts for 10 or more.

Tired of buying cheap plastic crap? Now you can make your own! www.VacuumFormerPlans.com

Last edited by drcrash on Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dr. Crash, very informitive. Great project!

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
AlterEgos
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Wow, thanks Paul! Excellent source, now I can start a few projects that were shelved due to lack of material. Wink
drcrash
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlterEgos wrote:
Quote:

Wow, thanks Paul! Excellent source, now I can start a few projects that were shelved due to lack of material. Wink

I haven't used the foam from there, so I can't really vouch for it... they don't say on the site what density it is, etc., so it may or may not be as nice as craft foam. (Ideally, I'd like to find some EVA that's denser than craft foam, so that its surface would be more durable.)

I cut a piece of 3/8" foam from a camping mat recently, and it seemed to be significantly less dense than craft foam. It vacuum-formed fine, though. (I was a bit surprised how easy it was. I was thinking that such light and thick foam might be too good an insulator, and hard to heat without burning.) Naturally, it rounded things out a fair bit, but no more than you'd expect from something 3/8" thick. I'm not positive that the camping mat was plain EVA, but I took that as a good sign that it was easy to heat & form.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: