www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
what is the best vac system to use

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harley guy
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: what is the best vac system to use Reply with quote

what is the best vac system to use,iam using to pull .125 maybe .250 abs.i dont think a 6.5 shop vac will work.the moulds have no detail to them ,just a round case mold.any suggestions.its going to be for small production.thanks
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi-vac is about your best option as ABS takes time to cool down and a low-vac system like a shop vac can't hold the vacuum that long.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
harley guy
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do u have any recommendation on were to get a hi-vac system.the whole system or the parts to build one.and what size pump should i buy (vacuum pull amonut).thanks again for your info.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for a hi-vac system, you would need a 30 gallon tank, and a vac pump with a CFM rating of 7-10 CFM. At that rate, you can remove all the air from the tank before the heater can get the plastic to forming temp.

Gast model 1065 is such a pump. Look for a used model on ebay. I have a Robinsair vac pump.

As for connecting it, check out this link:

http://www.tk560.com/vactable4.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ANH trooper
Master

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jim,

Have you managed to get your high-vac set-up together yet?

I really have to make a new machine and would like an overhead heater with a high-vac system.My new moulds are so close to finishing and need to get really good pulls on them.

Do you know anyone who has made such a machine that has got the info/pics to share?

Cheers bud!

-Paul.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul!

Check out this link! http://24.251.104.37:443/gallery/vacformtable?page=1 for some great ideas for an over/under design. Good to hear your molds are almost done. I need to redo all of mine and make them more accurate. LOL.
ANH trooper
Master

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Jim.

I remember seeing that posted on the ASAP boards ages ago,but looks like it's been updated recently.It looks like a great set-up,I like it alot!

The only thing I don't like is ELECTRICITY Shocked

I reckon I could follow the instructions to make the oven and the heating coils,but all this ohms stuff might as well be chinese writing as I don't understand any of it Crying or Very sad

I do know an electrician though and would definately ask him to check it out.I already have a nice big empty gas bottle that I could use,and that frame looks quite simple enough to build.I guess I just have to get around to starting it Confused

If you need any help with measurements or anything about the moulds,just ask Wink I still haven't finished the helmet yet,but I'm thinking of a hard rubber for the 'respirator' part of the face mask.If not rubber,then something with a bit of 'give' in it.The plastic locks down bad on that part!

-Paul.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: