www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Can vacutable work with ABS on a very simple mold?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpmurray

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Can vacutable work with ABS on a very simple mold? Reply with quote

My vacuforming plans are to work only with ABS (.125" thick) to make large rounded guitar backs. I don't need any detail.

I've read there may be some issues with ABS and this machine - shortcomings with detailed molds especially. But my molds will be very simple with no details. Only a large rounded convex shape.

So, can I count on the James Vacutable for this?

P.S.
The tk560 vactable website is an awesome supplement to James' book
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABS is a little more resistant to forming, so you need strong vac pressure to make good pulls. However, if you don't have any detail ridges, then a shop vac is fine for pulling the plastic. Be sure to use the riser because you will definitely get undesirable flair where the bottom of the buck meets the forming platen surface.

If you were pulling with details in the buck, then you would have to upgrade to a hi-vac solution, such as the Gast 1065 pump with a vac chamber. This makes the rig a little more complex. Check out this fellow's table, he used a beer keg for the vac chamber!
Kegger!!!

From what I've experienced, you may have issues with an orange peel texture. I haven't figured out what causes this - having the plastic on the heat too long, or the need for some kind of "drying out" process before pulling the plastic. You may need to regulate the heat from the oven as well. I pull HIPS, and get very good results.

Good luck!

Charlie
TI-386
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great link! Thanks for sharing! I never thought about a keg. How many gallons is a keg?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Originally I thought a keg held 30 gallons, but a quick Google search came back with only 15 gallons. According to this web site:
http://www.cockeyed.com/inside/keg/keg.html
(A humorous read as well Razz)

I don't recall how much volume is needed for a 24"x24" table (I don't have the book with me at work). I want to say around 30 gallons?!? So then you'd have to daisy chain two of them together with the vac pump.

My question is, how do you clean it out?!? I'd imagine the leftovers from the beer would be pretty stinky!

Charlie
TI-386
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: