www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Everwolf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Questions Reply with quote

Many use MDF, but I hear people use plaster resin and I think someone said something about foam. I have never made a mold of anything in my life...or at least not that I can remember. Since I am such a noob at this what would be the best material to learn to sculpt in to molds. To further that, what tools would be needed to work with said material. I don't own much when it come to power tools, drill, 8" circular saw, jig saw, and a dremil. That is about it.

In addition do you have dummies of the person you are making it for or do most of you take measurements of the person you are making it for?

I am sorry if these questions have been asked before.

Everwolf
Cincy, OH
AlterEgos
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well first, it really depends on what you're looking to make. There are many different approaches to a project and one material may be more suitable than the other.

Personally, I tend to sculpt my model in oil clay and make a silicone negative mold. Then I pour a plaster positive cast from that to smooth out any rough areas. Once I get the plaster positive to my liking, I make a vacuformed styrene master mold. At this stage I usually pour a high-temp resistant resin into the vac master mold to get a long lasting positive mold for production.

Most people use the skills they're comfortable with and go from there. If you've never sculpted or done any woodworking, then there's a pretty rough road ahead of you. Neutral
ANH trooper
Master

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the DH2 website

http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/

That's where i got my inspiration to make my stormtrooper armour.I had never sculpt anything before I saw that site.I had never even heard of 'vacuum forming' either but everything is explained on there Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many ways to go about making your own armor. I did mine using MDF, others use more elaborate methods, it all depends on what you are comfortable with. If you have never sculpted before, I would recommend you try the MDF option for the hand armor. See how it goes. If that process, you do not like, then try the clay/plaster/ultracal option mentioned on the DH2 site. Lots of good info there. Like Paul, I was inspired by that site.

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Everwolf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Questions Reply with quote

Ok so the molding process is what ever I am comfortable with, it also sound like there is no sure fire easy process for making molds either. So either way I got a lot of trial and error ahead on me.

So how do most of you design your initial mold? Do you make a life cast of the person you are make the armor for or just take basic measurements?

In addition I noticed on this board that molds will never last forever. What mold material lasts the longest before remaking the mold and would it be a good or bad idea to make a pull of a the mold just after finishing it to use to make another mold incase the one being used becomes unusable?
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your spot on. Making a master pull in a thinner than normal sheet while the molds are fresh are is a great idea. A way to archive your original molds. Lots of the guys here on the board have done that including me!

Start out with the more basic armor parts, and proceed, as your confidence builds to the more complex parts. Taking body measurements, is a good way, and Studio Creations says to make a body cast. For some, a clothing store mannequin will suffice, or, you can borrow the armor parts to photograph them and take detailed measurements of them, are all valid ways of getting you accurate reference material.

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Everwolf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back again, we (my friends and I) finally decided what size to make our table. They were concerned that we could not make armor piece big enough to fit them. Any way we are going with a over-under 24x32 or 22x30 platen. We are looking at tanks and Pumps at the moment, with the size of table will a 30 gallon tank be ok or should we go with a 40. Also we where looking at a multi-tank design and we are looking at 10 Gallon tanks for that. Anyone know if there is a difference on single tank vs. multi-tank?

Depending on which way we go will alter the table design. I am drawing up preliminary sketches now I will post what we plan on making as soon as they are done.

Also I am having a hard time finding a oil-less pump anyone know of a decent one?

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever." -Shane Falco
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: