www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
CMP running low on M1 Garands

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: CMP running low on M1 Garands Reply with quote

Well, the CMP appears to be running low on Collectors, Correct, Service and Field Grade M1 Garands, and about all they have for sale now are the Rack Grade M1 Garands, and M1903 rifles. I knew the time would come when the CMP would be forced to offer something else.

Now, I'm not saying the CMP won't be getting more. They are tight-lipped about revealing sources, but the ARMY has stopped shipping M1s to the CMP, but rather keeping them for Veteran's organizations, so the only surplus rifles the CMP will have access to, would be from foreign returns.

The M1 Carbines are soon to be made available in May, and rumors claim a large shipment of rifles are being held ransom at Customs bound for the CMP. These won't be made availalbe till next year at the earliest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the latest news is, the CMP is out of M1 Garands. Hopefully by October, 2007, they will have had time to build up a few from parts they have on hand. In fact one option they hope to be able to offer is a CMP 'select' grade, made from a new manufactured match grade barrel, and new wood. Refinished, these should look like brand new rifles.

Also, the M1903 and the 03A3 bolt action rifles are almost gone.

End of an era, getting USGI surplus rifles from them. Sad. But I knew this day would come, sooner or later. It just happened to be sooner.

Also, the CMP is now offering .30 Carbine ammo to go along with the M1 Carbines they will be offering for sale on April 30.

These won't last long. And when they are gone, the future of the CMP's surplus rifle sales is somewhat gloomy.

Get 'em while you can, boys!

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: The CMP's current status Reply with quote

Here's the bad news:
The CMP's M1 Garands sold out in April. The Inland made M1 Carbines [3 weeks and what the CMP had inspected were gone mid May!] Also, the M1903 rifles are all sold out [June 1], and no more of these are expected until 2008 or 2009.

The good news is, a rumored shipment of a stash of Greek M1 returns are expected to arrive at the CMP this Fall. Unsure it's M1 Garands or M1 Carbines, but I expect it will be Garands. The last batch of M1 Garands returned from Greece, yielded some new in wrapper M1's, and some rare International Harvester made verisons. These are all US issued M1's they were simply loaned to Greece for a time, and are now being returned.

Also, the other makers of the M1 Carbines, [Winchester, IBM, Underwood, etc] are expected to be available fo sale this Fall too.

Me, I'd like to have a Winchester, and for grins, an IBM made carbine. Just don't know if the funds are there. As of yet, the CMP has not posted pricing on these other Carbine makers. Underwoods are expected to be the next maker made available.

If anyone is thinking they might want a good M1 Garand or Carbine, my suggestion is to get them from the CMP while you still can. The proceeds from the sale of these vintage US militrary small arms goes into firearms safety and youth training programs. A good cause. And you can't bet the price for genuine US military surplus arms.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while so I thought I'd update this thread. The CMP has finally gotten that 'Greek Return' shipment of Garands. Some are very nice, and there are several grades available. Prices have gone up for the most part, but you can still get a shooter grade M1 Garand for less than $500.

The M1 Carbines are back, this time there are several options available, including rack grades, and Service grades with different makers. You can still get a rack grade Inland for around $425. Some of the odd ball makers are much higher. Some have already sold out.

The really cool thing is, there were some M1A1 carbines in that shipment, and these will go to the CMP auction site. I know they will sell for a huge amount of money, but hey, they are going to be available!

The M1903s and M1917's are gone. Some may trickle back in from VFWs and other veteran organizations but for the most part, unless a horde of these shows up out of the blue, they are gone.

Ammo made by Lake City is gone too from the CMP site. Too bad, as I thought that would never be unavailable. The good news is there was a ship load of Greek 30-06 available, and for the most part the reports are it is pretty good ammo.

Thats all from the CMP news for now. Still no word on the Korean horde, or stuff found from the current war zones.

www.odcmp.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Weapons Locker All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: