www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
hi again i have a problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Israel franco
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: hi again i have a problem Reply with quote

hi i make some pulls test (again) afeter sand the molds but now i dont get the details Confused i think is because the vacuum force is not strong, i dont know, i use a 5.0 hp shop-vac and anoter 2 home vacuum cleaners in sequence but no, i try heated the plastic with a heat gun like "Therber" say and first work, but in some areas the plastic turns to thin an broke and in some areas i get a "orange peel" aparience, what can i do now?

anybody have the same problem? is these normal?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ANH trooper
Master

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Israel,

It sounds like your going through your learning period old pal.These are common mistakes that I made on my first few attempts.I don't know what heat source you have,but if your plastic is burning through then it's getting too hot in one spot.If your plastic isn't getting good pulls then it's either your vacuum source is too weak or your platsic isn't hot enough,or both!

You also need to have breather holes in your moulds too.Just drill 1mm or 1.5mm holes through your moulds in the crease lines or indents where air will be trapped and you'll get alot better results.

Let your plastic sag too.I'm not sure how much you can let it sag by as I'd need to know what type of forming table you have and the size,but on mine if you let your plastic sag about the same size as your mould then you'll get great results.That's more or less how I do it anyway.I don't have a high vac set up yet so maybe I wouldn't have to let it sag so much if I did?

Experiment with sag and don't rush heating your plastic as it will surely end in 'melt-down'. Sad

Hope this helps matey!

-Paul.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Israel franco
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: thanks paul trooper (friend) Reply with quote

thanks for the information, my heat source is a gas oven but i dont have any problems with that, the plastic sag good (about 4 inches) i think the problem is vacuum source, i use a 5hp shop-vac and 2 home vacum cleaner in sequence, jim says that with one of 3hp it is sufficient to get a decent detail, but not for me Crying or Very sad (may be my shop-vac in not good is a ridgid 4-gallon, 5 HP yoy can see it in http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/4-Gallon-Vac/index.htm) i already have thought about making holes in the mold, but if I do it, they were marked in the piece? maybe i have to make a seal between the plastic and the mold, i will try to put the molds raised a little from the vacuum surface, because they cover many holes

by curiosity what suction source you are use?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soft detail = cold plastic OR low vacuum. Check all your connections. Remove your vacuum filter. You might have vacuum leak, either in the lines, connectors, or platen. Also, I noticed a decrease in vacuum performance, and it was getting worse. I took the platen apart, and found that the cavity inside the platen was filled with dust and trash. I did not realized how much stuff fell into it. [my shop doubles as a wood working shed, so lots of saw dust] I had to redrill, clean up and reseal the platen. Took about an hour, and I got back 99% of my lost vacuum. Now, when the vac-form machine in NOT in use, I have a dust cover that protects the platen.

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ANH trooper
Master

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have 2 vacs,but am only using 1 at the moment and I am going to try linking them up but not sure the best way to go about it.

http://www.numatic.co.uk/000_productfinder3.asp?range=2&subrange=9&index=3

http://www.numatic.co.uk/000_productfinder3.asp?range=2&subrange=7&index=7
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Israel franco
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now i see why yous pulls work good, the 2 vac-shop look powerfull je je je
at least more than my Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: