www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Chrome from a can

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Costumes & Equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaLon

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Chrome from a can Reply with quote

I have tried just about everything to get a chrome finish from a can. Here is what I found to work best....after many tries and a lot of sanding.

Use Rust-oleum brand Metalic Finish with the chrome cap. Allow to dry several days. The apply Krylon Workable fixative...found at most art stores. This will diminish the chrome just a hair but after almost 30 years of killing humans I think all us Cylons are a bit faded. The Metalic paint looks great by itself but it rubs off easily. DO NOT apply a clear coat from the same brand of any kind of chrome-ish paint...It melts the chrome away. Good luck.
tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a good metalic finish that works, use Rub and Buff silver leaf.

Its in a tube, like shoe polish. Mind you, do not touch anything you dont want to be silver because it will stick to your hands anything it touhes.

-tubachris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago I did some test, trying to find a decent solution for my Cylon helmet, here is that experiment:

And the link:
http://www.tk560.com/cylonbuild.html

The result for me that worked the best, use a lot of fine sandpaper, some wet-sanding, and then a good coat of gloss black. Any imperfections, sand and keep repainting until happy. Then a top coat of rattle can chrome. It will still look more like aluminum but better than the vac-metalized options costing hundreds of dollars. There is a new air brush paint called Alclad II. And has some impressive results, but also requires a perfect finish, and a glossy black undercoat.

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Katachi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jegner wrote:
A few years ago I did some test, trying to find a decent solution for my Cylon helmet, here is that experiment:

Jim

I had a thought the other day while I was thinking about how to go about making a Destro helmet since apparently it's the 25th anniversary of GI JOE: What happens to mylar when you heat it up? You can get huge sheets of it, and what I was thinking was if it were possible to thermal form it with the vacuum form table, right over your helmet halves. If it forms to the contours of your buck/helmet half when heated, you should be able to make a nice THIN but super reflective surface. I haven't figured out how you'd get it to stay on the helmet pieces though, since I'd imagine that if you sprayed an adhesive on your helmet half, put it in the table, and tried to form the mylar over it, it wouldn't allow for all the air between the two to be sucked out.

Any thoughts?

Edit: Some more chrome-y concepts.
I know a guy in Chicago who made this Daft Punk helmet and gloves:

It's chrome vinyl with a sticky backing. Now, I'm thinking again that you might be able to heat and form it a little better with either a heatgun or the vacuform table so that you get some nice curves.

Also, if you're going to go with spraypaint, I have in like 3 of my Car Audio and Electronics magazines tutorials on how to get a mirror finish on fiberglass with a metallic paint, LOTS of clear coats, sanding, and I believe a waxed finish. The reflection's all in the clear coat and wax, and I'd imagine when applied to something like bumper chrome as a base coat, it'd look more metallic than bumper chrome by itself.
chefhawk
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if you're going to go with spraypaint, I have in like 3 of my Car Audio and Electronics magazines tutorials on how to get a mirror finish on fiberglass with a metallic paint, LOTS of clear coats, sanding, and I believe a waxed finish. The reflection's all in the clear coat and wax, and I'd imagine when applied to something like bumper chrome as a base coat, it'd look more metallic than bumper chrome by itself.

That would make perfect logical sense.

Cheers for the heads up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Costumes & Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: