www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
more sticky threads?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drcrash
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: more sticky threads? Reply with quote

I think it might be a good idea if we had more sticky threads, which we could use as indexes to lots of stuff that's already here somewhere.

At first I was thinking about single "index thread" where each post would be about a topic, and have pointers to older posts & threads that give particularly useful info on that topic, like "over and under designs".

I'm wondering if it might be better to have three or even six index threads, divided into basic topic areas:

1. vacuum systems and platens
2. ovens, heating elements, wiring, and heat controls
3. oven/platen configurations: over & under, flip-frame, etc.
4. moldmaking
5. vacuum forming problems and solutions (different plastics, tricky molds, webbing, etc.)
6. links to vacuum former plans, thermoforming guides, etc.

Any thoughts? That seems like a nice basic topic division, so that each thread would be manageable, but we'd end up with a whole bunch of stickies at the top of the forum. Would one "index thread" be better, or is there a good way to lump pairs of the above topics together to cut down on the number of stickies?

I'd be happy to write a few short, basic posts for each of those stickies, indexing the FAQ-ish stuff I keep hunting up---or just repeating, sorry---on particular sub-topics. (Like platen designs, lift mechanisms for over-and-unders, plumbing for high vac, etc.)

Tired of buying cheap plastic crap? Now you can make your own! www.VacuumFormerPlans.com
remarque

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think mold making should be a topic, because I need a some help making my molds stronger without compromising its shape.

A FAQ would also be great to help new people, something that shows them what not to do when building a former because it can be dangerous. I wish I could of had one because I made a couple of mistakes ( like using a dryer heating coil as a oven and nearly getting burned Very Happy )
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm game for more stickies. I think some sort of topic specific FAQ might be a good place to start.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: