www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
My Vacuum Forming "Machine"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jzawacki
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm a little lost... what kind of heat control do you have to set them both at half? (I'm not sure what you mean by "they tested fine" here.)

Now I'm confused as well. I didn't think about it when I was typing that.. but I'm guessing you are correct that they are full on, and then once it reaches the set tempeature (lets say 325 degrees) it will start cycling on and off to try to keep it at 325 degrees, right. Well, not even thinking about it, I plugged both sunbeam grills into one circuit and turned them both to whatever half the dial was (thinking it was power resistor based for some reason) and it didn't blow a breaker or anything. But, I don't think I turned them both on at the same time. I dunno.. I'll be at that part in just a few more steps. I just finished the structure to hold the oven up, and only have two more pieces of concrete board to cut (talk about messy). I guess I will figure it out then.
thebluecanary
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And word on how this turned out? If this works, it would be very good for what I want to do!
badger
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebluecanary wrote:
And word on how this turned out? If this works, it would be very good for what I want to do!

Yes, yes, please tell us!

Smile

Also waiting to hear how it turned out.

badger
vacman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I finally got around to doing a pull.

I used .06 thickness PETG.

I made some modifications to my 'oven', I added a digital meat thermometer Smile and I added some tin foil to deflect the heat from the sides. I just added a little bit because it was all I had, but I plan on adding more.

Here's roughly what happened.

It took about 5 minutes for the plastic to fully heat up at a temperature of 150 degrees Celsius. At first there were cold spots near the edges, and at the two small gaps where the two plates meat. But they soon began to heat up and get soft. So at around 5 minutes I had a sag that was about an inch from the hot plates and the plastic was evenly heated.

Using these hot plates here's what I've found:
150 degrees Celsius setting, gave me 125 degrees Celsius in the oven.
175 degrees Celsius setting, gave me 150 degrees Celsius in the oven.

Also, even though the thermostat turned the griddles off, the oven temp still kept rising.

I have attached pictures of my modification, you can see the tin foil, thermometer and probe.

It's hard to see my pull because it's clear. But I managed to get some good detail. I know I wasted lots of the plastic, and it's not perfect because I'm still learning, and I forgot to put the mold on blocks.

All in all it worked great. But I want to add some more tinfoil in the oven because the oven walls heated up considerably which means a lot of wasted heat.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: