www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Blade Runner PKD blaster

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Blade Runner PKD blaster Reply with quote

Well, a weapon prop collection would not be complete with out a replica of Blade Runner's replicant killing gun. One of these days, I'll get around to making one. Needed, once Charter Arms Bulldog, in .38 police special. Add one Steyr SL .222Remington receiver and bolt, add some fancy grips and some greeblies, and volia! Blade Runner blaster.

pic from http://karltate.wordpress.com/2006/08/31/props-of-blade-runner/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sethb6025
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A movie-accurate one is on my laundry list, but currently I have one of Rick Ross' fantastic SNUB kits. Its not 100% done but here is a pic;

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool!

Here are some research articles for building your own shooting version:

http://props.steinschneider.com/blade_runner/bldrunbl.htm

http://www.racprops.com/issue4/projectbr_pt1/

and

http://www.sidkit.com/blaster/blasters.htm
http://www.sidkit.com/bmetal/brmetal.htm

I think I need to track down the following:

A vintage Charter Arms Bulldog. A .44 Target model was the one used in the film, but for shooting purposes, a.38 special with a barrel sleeve is more practical.

A vintage Steyr-Mannlicher Model SL rifle in .222 Remington.

As an alternate, one of the Sidkit metal kits, canibalized for the metal Steyr receiver section. This may be the most cost effective approach, as the Steyr portion is for decoration purposes only.

Cost on this prop will be pretty high, if a real Steyr is used. OMG, those are $1,500 guns now. The Charter Arms pistols are $200. And a kit with the greeblies are $175 to $380 depending on the materials used.

This project continues...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Clint F.
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jim. I'd recommend the Charter Arms Police Bulldog. They don't make that one anymore, but you can regularly find them on Gunbroker and for reasonable prices. It was the same size the .44 Bulldog, but is a six shot .38 Special, and came with a 4 inch barrel. The .38 would be a lot more comfortable to shoot than the .44. You remember how that little sucker kicked, lol.
Another alternative would be an older Charter Arms Mag Pug in .357 Magnum. It was the same size as the .44 and .38 Police Bulldogs, and could be had with several different barrel lengths.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Clint for the info. Keep an eye out for one in .38 special or .357. I don't really need one in the big .44. What is a good price on one of these?
Clint F.
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the price on the .357, but I've regularly seen the .38 Police Bulldogs going for less than $300 on Gunbroker. Occasionally, I'll run into one at a gun show, too.

My .44 Bulldog only cost me $150, but I think I lucked into that one.

Right now there are several .38 Police Bulldog up on Gunbroker for $261 and a .357 Target model for about $300.

I'll email you the links to them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the .357 target might be a cool option. What is involved in modifying it for PKD use? The front sight but what about that extractor guard?
Clint F.
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be wrong, but as I recall, the extractor guard and sight are on a sleeve that attaches to the barrel with a set screw.
sethb6025
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you build a firing PKD I'm buying a plane ticket to Texas! Laughing I am itching to do a PKD but I am holding out to see what Sidero comes up with, apparently he is working on a revised version based on the Worldcon photos.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sethb6025 wrote:
If you build a firing PKD I'm buying a plane ticket to Texas! Laughing I am itching to do a PKD but I am holding out to see what Sidero comes up with, apparently he is working on a revised version based on the Worldcon photos.

Clint F. and I are conspiring to make a firing model. Muwhahahah... sorry. Finding the proper vintage model Charter Arms .38 or .357 is my biggest challenge. Clint I think already has one in .44 cal. I'm looking at getting one of those metal SidKit kits, and kitbash it for parts. The Steyr SL is just too expensive unless I can track down a gun with a broken barrel, bent barrel, etc. on the cheap.
Clint F.
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I've got a .44 that I'll volunteer for the build. I've already bobbed it's hammer and am working on a design for a shroud to attach to the barrel to lengthen it another inch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Weapons Locker All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: