www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Nichrome wire connections?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lawman18963

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Nichrome wire connections? Reply with quote

Hey all, new to the board.
I got my nichrome wire and oven ready to set up. I see by Thurston's diargam that, the nichrome wire is connected by 3 hot wires and 2 ground. Being ingnorant to electrical stuff, is the shown connection to keep proper voltage / amps to the wire consistant through out the length of wire?

I took apart a space heater and was going to use the switches from that to turn the oven coils on / off and regulating the temp. That should work, right? But I see that it was only connect by the Hot and Ground wires. ( 2 total) If I'm going to connect such a greater length of nichrome wire, do I need to go to the 5 wire connection setup? Or, was that just for the addition of the power switch, as seen in the diagram?

Thanks in advance for any help.

lawman
thebluecanary
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this link: http://www.tk560.com/vactable4ovenwire.html

It is VERY helpful when wiring up the oven. And you might want to make sure you get a 20 amp switch. I don't know what kind of amps that toaster oven might be able to take.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure your toaster oven controls are rated for 20amps. The Thurston James oven design is based on 20.8amp circuit.

I've been using the oven for over a year, and have never had a need to regulate the heat. When it's on, it generates the proper amout of heat to melt the plastic from .040 to .125 inch thickness. Not bad for an on/off lioght switch.

If I were to try and make another one, I think I would go with a 20 amp dimmer switch, one that has a illuminated light telling me the switch is on.

Here is a shot of how I wired my oven:

and here is link to some tips for wiring the oven to power:

http://www.tk560.com/vactable4ovenwire.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: