www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Howard Hawks films

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TKThor
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Howard Hawks films Reply with quote

One of my coworkers was telling about some of the great WWII films of the 40s and 50s saying that some where the best of the old studio system in Hollywood. And he mentioned the great Howard Hawks movies. I looked him up and really the only two that jumped out at me where Red River and Rio Bravo. What are some others of his best ? I know John Carpenter always references him as one of his influences. And what are some of the best WWII films of the 40s and 50s?
CJanssen
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm,

I have a few movies to mention here.......Hawkes reminds me of "The Thing from Another World" But I suppose sticking to the WWII category....
"Sands of Iwo Jima" is a classic from the era you mentioned ( Gotta love the Duke) , but I am a bit young for that time period so I would like to say "Force 10 from Navarone" was my favorite early WWII movie. I suppose Han Solo may have influenced me at an early age, but it was a good flick.

CJ
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I was a Male War Bride" one of my favorite Cary Grant films, and IMHO is what Hawks is best known for, whitty dialog, fast delivery. [One reason the original 'The Thing from Another World' has a Hawks feel to it, and some say he ghost-directed it although he does no get the director's credit for it]

'Bringing Up Baby' is great a real screw-ball comedy. Grant and Hepburn are great.

'His Girl Friday', another great film. Best of the 1940s high-speed dialog driven plotlines. Classic, classic comedy. Based on the play 'The Front Page'.

'Gentlemen Prefer Blonds', although I'm not a fan of Marilyn Monroe, per se, I think it's a must see for any fan of good cinema. Jane russel is great too!

Sergeant York is a must see.

I can't think of anymore right now, that have not been mentioned. I stayed away from the Westerns he did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: