www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Vac-form Machine Gallery
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good idea jim!

i would have to get some mighty strong bungee cords though...

i may have to look and see if i have some that fit the bill...

thanks! but, to be honest, it doesn't really make a difference for me... i mean, i can pull the piece, and then turn the vacuum off and put the lid back on and it takes the oven no time at all to recover. by the time i put the lid on, remove to plastic from the frame, and put another piece in, it's PLENTY HOT (around 550-600 degrees F after 25 mins) to pull another piece. plus, most of the time my sister is hanging around to help, and if she isn't, eh, the pull pulls fine and i continue with the cycle!

and cod, i LOVE smell of plastic (HIPS, that is) in the morning, reminds my sister of christmas, and me of success, baby!

what i really need to do is (if i ever use this thing to pull more armor again...) is figure out a new frame! i made mine a bit to small, i get a seal, but it would be MUCH easier if i made my frame 24" sq, instead of 24.5" square. that little bit would make it easier on me to make a seal, i think...

thanks for the input!

stay tuned for my FULL LENGTH vacuum-forming video, coming possibly this weekend!

Very Happy (maybe this weekend........?)

-------------------------------------------------------

TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, here is my full-length vacuum-forming video! (in 4 parts)

PART 1:

PART 2:

PART 3:

PART 4:

sorry, the quality is a bit rough, but hopefully you catch my drift.

enjoy! Very Happy

CJanssen
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE work on the videos Alex ! I was a little bummed because my favorite part of vac-forming wasnt in the video....watching the plastic forming over the molds is way cool....

I use those same snips to rough cut my armor as well.

great job Very Happy

CJ
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i was a little bummed out too, because we ran out of film when the plastic was at the PERFECT temp for forming. my sister ran inside to get some more film, and i had already formed. we then decided that the actual forming was VITAL to the film, so i reloaded the machine. i pulled, but that same area where the shoulder bell formed "too fast...err....whatever....", had actually popped, so no good there....

oh well, but thanks CJ!

drcrash
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: itsy bitsy teeny we TJ machine Reply with quote

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9NY2N2zq2TY

Kinda cute... a TJ machine for plastic about one foot square.

(I don't think that's actually an especially good idea, or the right size/shape for making masks, but I'm sure it works fine, and I thought it was funny to see an itty bitty version.)

Tired of buying cheap plastic crap? Now you can make your own! www.VacuumFormerPlans.com
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wonder uf the kids made the molds out of clay, and the teacher vacuum-formed it. that would be a hit in any classroom, i think!

that WAS cute... Smile

TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you happen to see tyhe matel vacuform machine? pretty sweet!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=t8mhu5GR6kA&feature=related

now, that's cool...

crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a video on YouTube from nullVDevice showing off their nice vacuum forming machine. It uses a fixed plastic clamping frame, and you roll the oven heating cage over the plastic to heat it up. Once warm, roll the oven back, and use pneumatic lifts to raise the platen into the softened plastic. Apply vacuum, and voila! Parts!

Be sure to watch all the way to the end for alternate uses for your vac table Razz

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Toi3eamF5ag

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

that's cool! i wonder if you could cook a steak on it.... or vacuform a steak. that's a nice set-up. very professional-looking.

that sandwich just imploded!

Laughing

ahillworks
Master

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW can't wait to see what mine does this sunday hehe. I love the cheese toast idea lol. I beleave mine gets hot enouf to keep pizza warm lol Nice set up though.
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a ProtoForm machine in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9EgeknznRc

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: itsy bitsy teeny we TJ machine Reply with quote

drcrash wrote:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=9NY2N2zq2TY

Kinda cute... a TJ machine for plastic about one foot square.

(I don't think that's actually an especially good idea, or the right size/shape for making masks, but I'm sure it works fine, and I thought it was funny to see an itty bitty version.)

Fun stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
fz1

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some asked me for pics of my frame and machine. No pics but drawings I made before building. The frame is 20mm x 20mm 3 slot extruded alum. All of the center parts can be moved and relocated as needed for different size platens. The outer frame remains the same. Special T-nuts used lets me tighten up the parts where needed.

The machine below is almost like my machine but I do not have the heat box made yet. the platen in the drawing is 46 inches long.

In a few weeks I should get some real pics after I get some more work done.
Culvan
Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple of pic of my system. It folds up for storage. I got the idea for that from jemartin144. I've left it a little more open to help vent excess heat on the wood.

Andy
inventer
Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: need help guys Reply with quote

Hi gang, finally got some plastic samples. I have some major guestions if anyone can help. Heres some photos from todays pulls, I'm getting big wrinkles on the flat part of my pull and got them on all pulls. I did'nt have this heat shield for the other pulls and got wrinkles, so, I put a shield over the middle of the coils because it gets the hottest there, as you can see, I still got the wrinkles. Heres a picture of my mold, it's 19" long, 13" wide and tapered from 1 1/2" to a half inch. As you can see from the other pictures I'm getting pinched out corners on the deep end of the pull. My question is what am I doing wrong ? I watched that guy doing his pull on youtube with his pull out oven, lifted his plastic twice than did his pull, I tryed that and still got these wrinkles I'm uesing .010 PETG. Im really amazed at how much sag there is when heating, so now I have to figure out how to set the plastic on the mold to pull without getting these wrinkles. I have read you guys use .020 and thicker so I hope someone can throw out some ideas. Hope this link works, I'm not much for computers. Tony http://www.villagephotos.com/members/album.asp?folder_id=2000127 For those of you who havn't seen my machine, heres pictures, http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v81/vanner40/vac%20u%20form/ I'm getting more plastic samples this week and would like some advise, any input ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: