www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Oven Options

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ahillworks
Master

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Oven Options Reply with quote

I was woundering if using the elements from a toaster oven would work I have 4 elements from one oven and they can be spaced far enouf to heat the size plastic I am going to use. Would this work or should I make the oven? Confused
drcrash
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ideally you want heating elements longer than your plastic dimension by a several inches.

You also want to have enough heating elements that are low enough power that you can space them reasonably closely to get even heat. The plastic should be further from the elements than they are from each other, so that the IR stripes from the elements have enough room to spread out and overlap before hitting the plastic.

You also want the elements to extend past the edge of the plastic by about half the distance to the plastic.

So, for example, if your elements are spaced 3 inches apart, it's good if the plastic is 5 or 6 inches away from them, and they stick out 2 or 3 inches on either end.

If you don't have those things, you may need to block and/or redirect IR with screening or reflectors to get an even heat distribution. Once you're doing that, lots of things are possible.

Tired of buying cheap plastic crap? Now you can make your own! www.VacuumFormerPlans.com

Last edited by drcrash on Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
ahillworks
Master

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man you are awesome lol just had to say that. So much info and it makes so much sence. Ok I will work with I got for now since its all free and make a oven to see what it does and go from there. Thanks for the info it does make more sence now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: