www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Would there be any problems with a 2' x 4' machine?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve68

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Would there be any problems with a 2' x 4' machine? Reply with quote

I want to build a 2' x 4' machine, and was wondering if there might be some sort of problem with a rectangle setup vs a square.

Thanks,
Steve
tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There really shouldnt be any issue with the shape of the platen/former. As long as the basic requirements to make it work as a former is present (air seal/vaccum, etc.), the shape dosnt matter. Its personal preference and depends on what your forming.

-tubachris
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Would there be any problems with a 2' x 4' machine? Reply with quote

Steve68 wrote:
I want to build a 2' x 4' machine, and was wondering if there might be some sort of problem with a rectangle setup vs a square.

There's no problem with non-square vacuum formers. Most vacuum formers are not square.

Thurston James's plans happen to be for square machines, but they're derived from Nick Bryson's, which were non-square.

Tired of buying cheap plastic crap? Now you can make your own! www.VacuumFormerPlans.com
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thurston talks about a 4x4 machine, basically a scaled up version of the 2x2 machine. So a rectangle version should be a non issue. Also, several board members here have made 24x36 machines too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlie Wink

i really thought about building a 4'x4' machine for my armor, but VERY high cost, and SPECIAL-ORDER city. cost came first, so i went 2'x2'. thurston james complained about heating issues, too, when i came to bigger tables.

has anyone on this board or others even made a 4'x4' table? i would love to see it! that would be cool! Smile

-------------------------------------------------------

crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, my 24" x 32" table works fine. The over under Doug Walsh tables are also rectangular, and with the lifting lever they work great.

My friends have been goading me to build a 4' x 4' oven, but I think I may scale it back just a bit to 48" x 32" which will yield three pieces of plastic from a single sheet (three sheets to the wind Razz ) Now to come up with a good design...

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Funkzilla

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At my University we had a an oven and a platen that could easily handle a full 4'x8' sheet.

I once helped a friend vac form a mannequin in halves to make a body double.

I *think* we used 3 1/2' x 7' sheets of polycarbonate.

-Eric
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude, eric Razz ....

i can see that. i actually saw a show a while back that involved making a cast of a human body from vacuum-formed plastic. in fact, the mythbusters used a 4'x' TJ-style machine (i think), to recreate "buster", their crash-test dummy Twisted Evil .

cod
Master

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TK 109 wrote:
dude, eric Razz ....

i can see that. i actually saw a show a while back that involved making a cast of a human body from vacuum-formed plastic. in fact, the mythbusters used a 4'x' TJ-style machine (i think), to recreate "buster", their crash-test dummy Twisted Evil .

with a 4x8 machine you could almost(minus undercuts around hands) make your own Hans Solo Carbonite sheet!

http://tinyurl.com/2fk5qh
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cod, LOL.

good thing he's in carbonite, that might be the only way to shut him up!

Laughing

thats_right2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all! I've been checking out the forum for a little while now and just joined. I have a question about oven wattage. I'm looking to build a 3' x 5' oven and wanted to know the proper wattage to put into the ovencalculator. I see that 2400W is used for a 2' x 2' panel. Can I assume that 2400W for a 2' x 2' (4ft^2) panel would equal 9000W for a 3' x 5' (15ft^2) panel? Shocked
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats_right2 wrote:
Hey all! I've been checking out the forum for a little while now and just joined. I have a question about oven wattage. I'm looking to build a 3' x 5' oven and wanted to know the proper wattage to put into the ovencalculator. I see that 2400W is used for a 2' x 2' panel. Can I assume that 2400W for a 2' x 2' (4ft^2) panel would equal 9000W for a 3' x 5' (15ft^2) panel? Shocked

Welcome to the board. Sorry about the imperial-armor.com site. I've been having some hosting issues with that. Here is the oven calculator on this site:

http://www.tk560.com/ovencalculations.html

it should calculate your needs.

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
thats_right2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That calculator is really nice. I guess what I'm asking...is 2400W the ideal wattage for a 2' x 2' panel? Should the wattage be a function of sq. ft.? If I go to a 3 x 5 panel, should I also increase the power? At 2400W that would be 600W/ft^2. So I would need 9000W Cool for a 15ft^2 panel?

Entering 9000W into the ovencalculator for a 3 x 5 gives me the same Power output over area as a 2 x 2 @ 2400w (4.167 W/in^2).
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the ideal is to have an oven that won't blow a common 110v 20amp circuit. Hence the math. If you wanted to the same heat level, but wanted a larger oven, you are looking at going above this threshold.

Jim
cod
Master

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats_right2 wrote:
At 2400W that would be 600W/ft^2. So I would need 9000W Cool for a 15ft^2 panel?

Entering 9000W into the oven calculator for a 3 x 5 gives me the same Power output over area as a 2 x 2 @ 2400w (4.167 W/in^2).

I concur with your calculations. You might consider dividing this up into 4 or more discrete circuits unless you have somehow 80 amps available to you on one breaker(not likely)

better yet this might be a case where you want to use 220v to cut your amp rating in half. I'm not certain, but Ibelieve that when machines get this big with this kind of draw- there is a tendency to build them around a 220v standard for capacity and economics- dependss on how your locality charges for power...

I used the calculator and then divided my calculations into 2 discrete circuits in order to fit each into the limitations of standard 15-20 amp circuit breakers. i think your project would require a good commercial rated power hookup- it's the equivalent of running 9 hair dryers simultaneously!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: