www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
RFT Blaster by Hasbro, a comparison to the MR version

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Costumes & Equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: RFT Blaster by Hasbro, a comparison to the MR version Reply with quote

The Hasbro DH-15 'Nerf' Blaster has finally started to appear in stores. All in all, a great toy version. And for our fan film, a paint job may be all we do to them. But for a true prop replica, below are some chopped together overlays of what needs to be modded to get a good representation of the RFT blaster:

[as compared to the Master Replicas version]

1. The sight rail is shorter on the Hasbro.
2. Trigger guard is too small, and trigger too big. Also, the entire grip is too far forward. The back of the grip has a hump in it.
3. Biggest issue, the receiver is 1 inch too short, behind the grip, and in front of the endcap.
4. The scope is mounted too far forward, mainly due to the receiver being too short.

Also, the grip has an odd hump on the back, to accomodate the battery cover screw.

Pretty easy to mod. And Hasbro should get high marks for making a toy us prop replica fans can actually enjoy. Also, it shoots darts better than anything else Nerf has to offer!

Hasbro really made a nice SinglePoint scope copy, and it even lights up with a red LED. Some builders may choose to keep that, the barrel tip and the endcap, and rebuild the rest on PVC. If these ever go on sale, thats what I will do!

Here are some links to the unedited pic:

http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/rebelfleettrooper/images/rftblaster_mr_vs_hasbro_01.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw these the other day, I im quite frankly amazed that this thing is more accurate then most other toys ive seen out out, despite the crazy color scheme. Also, I wanted to say that this blaster is not only a rebel blaster, but if you watch ANH, the scene when Han, and Luke are in TK suits, and they bring chewie into the security room. The officer says, "where are you taking.....that thing?" yada yada, he points to the guards who are about to take chewie, qnd in that short scene, you can clearly see that they are holding the same exact blasters you see the rebels carry on the Tantive IV battle in the beggining.

-tubachris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to Herb's converted Hasbro. I did the mods, and it only took about 2 hours to do, not including dry time.

http://www.tk560.com/DH17mod/DH17mod.html

Before:

After:
[/img]

I think we can use these as props for our fan film, and if I can figure out a way to extend them tube and mod the trigger guard, these will make a pretty decent prop replica.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: where did you get that blaster??? Reply with quote

INCREDIBLE! Shocked Jim, you never cease to amaze me! I gotta get started on mine. By the way, where did you get that blaster?

-------------------------------------------------------

TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you get that super shiny silver paint, also?

jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The paint is Krylon chrome. Rattle Can chrome paint never looks like chrome, more like aluminum, perfect for this project.

JIM
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see... thanks man! Very Happy

TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got both the rebel and clone blasters this christmas, so, i decided to make my own one of these:

it was kind of a challenge to get the paint to cooperate, but it turned out nice.

i used a paint that was "specialty silver", or something. primed, then painted.

i'm going to need to modify this one soon:

quite undersized, but a cool toy!

and that's that...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Costumes & Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: